News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2012, 05:33:54 AM
I like the end of year editorials by the NYT's disunion blog, especially this one.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/a-sad-fearful-raging-year/?smid=fb-disunion

QuoteAnother year has been added to the ages of human existence; a sad, fearful, raging year swells the wild stream of history, – a year replete with some of the most terrible and revolting scenes of human passion, and some of the grandest scenes of human virtue. It is a year that has seen foul treason rear its head in the midst of peace and plenty .... But the New Year opens with hope; with rebellion gasping for its life; with the iron hand of the military and naval power of the land upon its throat. It opens upon new ideas of progress, with new aspirations for future national grandeur, with new developments of social and political truths. It opens with a confidence that this "land of the free," shall take its place again as the banner nation in the march of civilization. It opens with a higher appreciation of the rights of man.
- The Hartford Daily Courant

is it from 1945?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Ed's psycho sick dream:

I'm in a Japanese movie theater with Robert Duvall and Clint Eastwood(old versions). Clint shoots somebody, and I do the Santini mushroom soup trick in the lobby. Then we beat up the staff of the movie theater and steal all the concession goodies.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 02, 2012, 09:31:39 AM
Ed's psycho sick dream:

I'm in a Japanese movie theater with Robert Duvall and Clint Eastwood(old versions). Clint shoots somebody, and I do the Santini mushroom soup trick in the lobby. Then we beat up the staff of the movie theater and steal all the concession goodies.

I like that you have a dream. Are you working to achieve your goal?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Remind me what the Santini mushroom soup trick is.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 12:10:09 PM
Remind me what the Santini mushroom soup trick is.

Can of cream of mushroom soup hidden, spill it out making it look like vomit. Watch the Great Santini you goof.

Ed Anger

QuoteDecember 7, 2011: Greece is considering a U.S. offer for what amounts to free M1A1 tanks. The U.S. tanks were used in the 1991 Persian Gulf War and have been in storage since the 1990s. The US reportedly told Greece that it can have as many as it wants as long as it pays the transportation costs. One Greek source indicated that Greece may take as many as 400 of the tanks, depending on the condition of the vehicles. The Greek military has already suffered deep budget cuts. The government is talking about spending one billion euros on military equipment in 2012 but that figure may decline, given Greece's budget crisis. The transportation costs would be manageable but it is likely that the vehicles would require some refurbishment. The tanks, however, are a deal for cash-strapped Greece, especially when viewed as a source for parts. Extra vehicles can be cannibalized to get the keep a sufficient number of frontline tanks operational.

lolz. FREE SHIT!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 02, 2012, 04:37:57 PM
Can of cream of mushroom soup hidden, spill it out making it look like vomit. Watch the Great Santini you goof.

I watched it a long time ago limpy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 02, 2012, 04:38:32 PM
QuoteDecember 7, 2011: Greece is considering a U.S. offer for what amounts to free M1A1 tanks. The U.S. tanks were used in the 1991 Persian Gulf War and have been in storage since the 1990s. The US reportedly told Greece that it can have as many as it wants as long as it pays the transportation costs. One Greek source indicated that Greece may take as many as 400 of the tanks, depending on the condition of the vehicles. The Greek military has already suffered deep budget cuts. The government is talking about spending one billion euros on military equipment in 2012 but that figure may decline, given Greece's budget crisis. The transportation costs would be manageable but it is likely that the vehicles would require some refurbishment. The tanks, however, are a deal for cash-strapped Greece, especially when viewed as a source for parts. Extra vehicles can be cannibalized to get the keep a sufficient number of frontline tanks operational.

lolz. FREE SHIT!

You should get one.  Greece will probably turn'em around and sell them.  Maybe that's how they can get their debt under control.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I should, but an Abrams would be overkill. A Czech armored car? perfect.

Greece needs to replace the old Pattons they still have in their inventory.

Neil

They'll need those tanks to roll over protesters.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Why doesn't Greece just take all the tanks, then sell them?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2012, 07:01:31 PM
Why doesn't Greece just take all the tanks, then sell them?  :hmm:

If there were customers for used tanks that were acceptable to the US, the US probably would have already sold them.

Josephus

What does Greece need with tanks, other than, as Neil said, rolling over protesters? They planning on going to war soon?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger