And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2011, 12:06:15 PM
I love how my eating habits has become a cause celebre. ^_^

Al: I expressed shock that people thought every day was not so much normal as desirable, and that blowing up public toilets was equivalent to enjoying the solitude of one's own facilities.  I must shit in secret.

Larch: if candy isn't real food, why is it one of the better buys from a calorie/dollar standpoint?  Further, I do eat things other than candy.  Spaghetti, pizza, rice, potato chips, corn chips, other shaped corn products, cashews, fried vegetables of various stripes, chewable vitamins, toast, hummus, shrimp, scallops, pepperoncinis out of the storage bin, and apparently some kind of potato dish that involves pepper and some sort of unidentified marinade.  As you can see, it's a highly varied diet.

You are to eating what Mono is to working and health-related issues.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Ironically, I actually suspect I probably have the healthiest diet on the board.  I mean, beef's not exactly good for you in contemporary quantities.

What I think a lot of people misunderstand is that while I do eat a lot of "junk," I don't eat it in the classic fat fuck pattern.  Most people who eat snack foods eat them as snacks, i.e. between and in addition to meals.  I eat them as meals.  I had this argument with my sister over the holidays.  She had a dinner consisting of leftovers from my stepfamily's get-together, comprising roast beef, mashed potatoes, and various sundry items.  I had nine peanut butter cookies.  If there is a difference, I probably ate fewer calories, and fewer calories from fat.

Also, limiting my intake to one item is surely more efficient.  The stomach gremlins that actually process food can specialize and develop a competitive advantage. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2011, 12:14:49 PM
Ironically, I actually suspect I probably have the healthiest diet on the board.  I mean, beef's not exactly good for you in contemporary quantities.

What I think a lot of people misunderstand is that while I do eat a lot of "junk," I don't eat it in the classic fat fuck pattern.  Most people who eat snack foods eat them as snacks, i.e. between and in addition to meals.  I eat them as meals.  I had this argument with my sister over the holidays.  She had a dinner consisting of leftovers from my stepfamily's get-together, comprising roast beef, mashed potatoes, and various sundry items.  I had nine peanut butter cookies.  If there is a difference, I probably ate fewer calories, and fewer calories from fat.

Also, limiting my intake to one item is surely more efficient.  The stomach gremlins that actually process food can specialize and develop a competitive advantage. :hmm:
I suspect that peanut butter cookies aren't exactly filled with vitamins and such.

Capetan Mihali

I love how my eating habits has become a cause celebre. ^_^

And there has been a steep decline in the number of Cal-eats-at-a-gas-station jokes... I think you're the new Caliga!   :showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

:lol: You don't have to be a fat fuck to develop diabetes by the time you're 35. Enjoy your insulin!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 30, 2011, 12:19:00 PM
And there has been a steep decline in the number of Cal-eats-at-a-gas-station jokes... I think you're the new Caliga!   :showoff:

He's the anti-Cal though, likes flat chests.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2011, 12:18:06 PM

I suspect that peanut butter cookies aren't exactly filled with vitamins and such.

Neither are mashed potatoes or beef afaik (except that beef does have iron; peanut butter has some iron, albeit probably not as much).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

While food in Vienna is great, there's precious little choice of Greek food. In Germany, every little shitty town has a Chinese, a Greek, an Italian and a Yugoslav Balkans restaurant. Greeks here are either intolerable or overpriced. Their food, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Liep on December 30, 2011, 10:08:03 AM
They recorded one of the routes I drive and aired it on national tv. http://www.dr.dk/nu/player/#/paa-skinner/26641

This is TV I don't understand.

No comments section.  :(  "Køge--Hillerød is teh best line on DSB all u other lines are faggots lol"
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2011, 12:29:19 PM
While food in Vienna is great, there's precious little choice of Greek food. In Germany, every little shitty town has a Chinese, a Greek, an Italian and a Yugoslav Balkans restaurant. Greeks here are either intolerable or overpriced. Their food, too.

You must have good Turkish and Balkan food though.   :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 30, 2011, 12:36:47 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2011, 12:29:19 PM

You must have good Turkish and Balkan food though.   :hmm:

More than you can wave a wet döner kebab at. We also have a number of Indian places, some Thai stuff. Gazillions of Asian restaurants. One or two Mexicans. And the occasional Austrian restaurant (though it's mostly a "Best of Austria-Hungary" style). No real burger places, though. Some places have decent burgers, and in a pinch there's TGI Friday's. Similar with steakhouses; even the chains only have a handful of locations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Larch: if candy isn't real food, why is it one of the better buys from a calorie/dollar standpoint?

That's a retarded way of looking at one's diet.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2011, 12:40:41 PM
More than you can wave a wet döner kebab at. We also have a number of Indian places, some Thai stuff. Gazillions of Asian restaurants. One or two Mexicans. And the occasional Austrian restaurant (though it's mostly a "Best of Austria-Hungary" style). No real burger places, though. Some places have decent burgers, and in a pinch there's TGI Friday's. Similar with steakhouses; even the chains only have a handful of locations.

I went to a Mexican joint in Amsterdam and saw a couple sipping straight tequila.  Do folks in your neck of the woods understand you're supposed to schlamn it down?

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on December 30, 2011, 12:44:27 PM
Larch: if candy isn't real food, why is it one of the better buys from a calorie/dollar standpoint?

That's a retarded way of looking at one's diet.

I have to believe Ide, like Mono, hams it up on this matter.  The alternative is too depressing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: LarchThat's a retarded way of looking at one's diet.

And yet, I am relatively healthy.  As long as I keep to discipline and maintain essential nutrient supplements--which I would have to do whether I ate candy or ate rice--I should be fine.  Or as fine as you expect a human aging to be.

Like Money said:

QuoteYou don't have to be a fat fuck to develop diabetes by the time you're 35. Enjoy your insulin!

It's always five years out, isn't it?  Been hearing a variation on that tune since I was 15.

P.S.: They're diet sodas, El Larcho.

Quote from: HabI have to believe Ide, like Mono, hams it up on this matter.  The alternative is too depressing.

Oh, probably a little.  But I think you guys make too much of it.  Like, 40 Reese's miniatures every four or five days isn't that egregious.
Kinemalogue