And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2011, 09:47:25 PM
Some people seem to have an irrational hatred of the word moist. :hmm:

It conveys a sense of darkness and dankness, clammy, of decomposition, where bacteria grow and thrive.  There are prettier terms out there.  Like moist towelettes.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

The night was well-lubricated, indicating arousal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Saw this on wikipedia. That's amazing!  :huh:

QuoteRandom population studies later determined that 1 in 23 individuals have some kind of synesthesia, while 1 in 90 have colored graphemes
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 10:01:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2011, 09:47:25 PM
Some people seem to have an irrational hatred of the word moist. :hmm:

It conveys a sense of darkness and dankness, clammy, of decomposition, where bacteria grow and thrive.  There are prettier terms out there.  Like moist towelettes.

Theres lots of words with less than nice meanings though.
Yet...moist seems to get some people I know.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It's the way moist sounds and feels when you say it.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Just came across this, cool story. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5048970/Parrot-saved-todlers-life-with-warning.html

Quote1:05PM GMT 25 Mar 2009

Willie, the Quaker parrot, alerted its owner, Megan Howard, when the todler she was babysitting last November in Denver, Colorado, began to choke on her breakfast.

As 2-year-old Hannah bagan to turn blue, the bird began squawking and flapping its wings to attract the attention of its owner.

"While I was in the bathroom, Willie (the parrot) started screaming like I'd never heard him scream before and he started flapping his wings," Miss Howard told CBS News. "Then he started saying 'Mama baby' over and over and over again until I came out and looked at Hannah and Hannah's face was turning blue because she was choking on her pop tart."

The carer then rushed to Hannah and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre, saving her life.

"If (Willie hadn't) warned me, I probably wouldn't have come out of the bathroom in time because she was already turning blue, her lips were blue and everything," she said.

The parrot has been honoured by the local Red Cross chapter's Animal Lifesaver Award.

Willie received the award during a "Breakfast of Champions" event in front of Bill Ritter, Colorado's governor, and John Hickenlooper, the mayor of Denver.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

The kid has probably been run over by a car since then, because she didn't pay attention.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

I always get turned on when a woman says "moist."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

The European Union allegedly plans to extend the Atalanta mandate from pirate hunting in the Indian Ocean to pirate hunting on the coast of Somalia...

lustindarkness

Do not download Unblock Me for your phone/pad. It takes massive amounts of willpower to stop playing this instead of working.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2011, 09:34:19 AM
Just came across this, cool story. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5048970/Parrot-saved-todlers-life-with-warning.html

Quote1:05PM GMT 25 Mar 2009

Willie, the Quaker parrot, alerted its owner, Megan Howard, when the todler she was babysitting last November in Denver, Colorado, began to choke on her breakfast.

As 2-year-old Hannah bagan to turn blue, the bird began squawking and flapping its wings to attract the attention of its owner.

"While I was in the bathroom, Willie (the parrot) started screaming like I'd never heard him scream before and he started flapping his wings," Miss Howard told CBS News. "Then he started saying 'Mama baby' over and over and over again until I came out and looked at Hannah and Hannah's face was turning blue because she was choking on her pop tart."

The carer then rushed to Hannah and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre, saving her life.

"If (Willie hadn't) warned me, I probably wouldn't have come out of the bathroom in time because she was already turning blue, her lips were blue and everything," she said.

The parrot has been honoured by the local Red Cross chapter's Animal Lifesaver Award.

Willie received the award during a "Breakfast of Champions" event in front of Bill Ritter, Colorado's governor, and John Hickenlooper, the mayor of Denver.

Personally, if my job was babysitting, I don't think I'd mention this, let alone to the news.

I mean, animal intelligence is cool, but being fired is not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Read an interesting little article on a iRobot Packbot that took out 17 IED's.

I'm gonna convert one of the Roomba's to anti-rabbit duty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2011, 07:11:56 PM
Read an interesting little article on a iRobot Packbot that took out 17 IED's.

I'm gonna convert one of the Roomba's to anti-rabbit duty.

I have a soft spot for the Wheelbarrow, so quintessentially British  :bowler: :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbarrow_(EOD)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"