News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 27, 2011, 10:54:36 PM
I liked the old forum. I could click on the number of posts in a thread and see how many posts everybody made.  I feel it helped me better understand thread dynamics.

I like that feature too, I have seen it on other forums.

Darth Wagtaros

Also, I still miss those other lame ass forums about the stupid games that were never gonna happen, like Mongolian Scenario.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 27, 2011, 09:39:48 PM
No, of course she wasn't... didn't you see how I said she went to a Catholic school? :contract:
:huh:

Most Catholic school's are pretty good and are full of non-Catholics escaping the public school system.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

In addition to that, most Catholic school graduates that I know are atheists, so these schools must be doing something right when it comes to education.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2011, 02:55:09 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 02:53:06 PM
Maybe. I don't know, I don't think anybody does. What makes you think that mindset is not replicated in other countries?

A hunch.
Do you have anything concrete, so it can actually be compared with other countries? 

You wanted to do that but then narrowed it down to medical culture based on a hunch.

It's worth saying that in almost all cases the overwhelming majority of healthcare costs come in an individual's last six months.

Edit:  Incidentally I read that that's one argument why worries about people getting older should focus on care in general.  Apparently the costs are much the same whether your last six months are in your 50s or 60s, or 80s.  The challenge is making the extra 20 years healthier.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 27, 2011, 10:54:36 PM
I liked the old forum. I could click on the number of posts in a thread and see how many posts everybody made.  I feel it helped me better understand thread dynamics.

Made me realize just how much I was spamming the OTT.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Interesting facts in the case of the murdered 9 year old girl in Indiana.

QuoteThe Indiana trailer park that was home to 9-year-old Aliahna Lemmon — whose dismembered body was found this week — is also home to an extraordinary number of registered sex offenders, police and court records show.

The affidavit doesn't say why Plumadore would have wanted to kill Aliahna. He isn't on the county's sex offender registry — court records show only convictions for trespassing, assault and auto theft in Florida and North Carolina.

Northway Woods is one of an increasing number of isolated locations around the country that have become havens for registered sex offenders, who in most states must not live within a certain distance of places where children congregate, such as schools and churches.

The Allen County sheriff's registry shows that 15 sex offenders live at Northway Woods, a small mobile home park with 54 lots, only about 25 of which are occupied. Among them are men with multiple felony convictions for sexual abuse of a minor and child molestation.

In other words, three-fifths of the occupied units house a registered sex offender. That's an extraordinary concentration in Indiana, which has only 137 registered sex offenders per 100,000 population — the third-lowest ratio among all 50 states, according to data compiled by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Seven other registered offenders live within 2 miles of the trailer park, the registry shows — meaning nearly 5 percent of all of the county's 537 registered sex offenders live within a short walk of one another.

Caliga

IIRC this sort of thing happens all the time in Georgia because the restrictions on where convicted sex offenders can live are so severe.  Result: child molester colonies. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 28, 2011, 06:41:21 AM
IIRC this sort of thing happens all the time in Georgia because the restrictions on where convicted sex offenders can live are so severe.  Result: child molester colonies. :)

Combine that with the limited employment opportunities you have as a convicted kiddie diddler, and trailers are probably all they can afford as well.

Caliga

Yep.  So a colony of child molesters on welfare with tons of free time.... seems like nothing bad could come out of that. :cool:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Anyone who shoots off firework before new year's eve should be shot in the face.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I just found out I'm entitled to a 60% discount on Penguin books. :)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 05:02:58 PM
I just found out I'm entitled to a 60% discount on Penguin books. :)

So entitlements are okay when you get them?  :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)