Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 06:52:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 07, 2011, 04:57:35 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 01:48:55 PM
And even if all this fails, shouldn't he still be happy he fucked up their lives most horribly?  His parents stabbed him through the feet and left him to die.  Now his dad's dead, his mom's dead, and he's the king.  This seems a clear-cut "win."

You'd think a guy smart enough to defeat the Sphinx in a contest of riddles would be able to see the bright side.

I think you may have missed the point.   ;)

Hubris?  It's hubris, isn't it?  No one ever just gets to enjoy life in Greek myth.  Except for crypto-rapists like Menelaus, I suppose.

Yeah, most people die in humiliating ways in Greek Myths.  Hercules is poisoned by his wife, Agamemnon is hit with an axe by his wife, Jason has his boat fall on him, Odysseus is accidentally killed by his son and Theseus falls off a cliff.  It might have to do with the need for a grave site in the hero cult and Greek love of Tragedy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Agamemnon was asking for it.  He's the most evil person in all mythology.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

I'm off to vote in the special election, bitches. Probably for the semi-retarded girl. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.  :Embarrass:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 07, 2011, 07:30:04 PM
I'm off to vote in the special election, bitches. Probably for the semi-retarded girl. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.  :Embarrass:

I'm thinking of selling my vote in November.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 03:12:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2011, 05:18:49 AM
Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 12:00:21 AM
Went on a mini wardrobe expansion at Macy's tonight.  I swear Izod, Calvin Klein, Nautica, etc. are mixing paper with Cotton.  Nearly ripped items I was testing.

That's disappointing.

Never expected you of all people to shop at Macy's.

We all have to economize if we are to keep six months in expences in liquid cash.

Macy's is okay for business casual?

Yes.  Yes it is.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2011, 04:59:56 PM
I think Bob Newhart is a very under appreciated comic.

You are part of an extremely uneducated and stupid generation.

Ideologue

I am familiar with the ouevre of Bob Newhart.  His stand-up's great, and I prefer Newhart to The Bob Newhart Show, although both are rather good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

QuoteIncidentally NSFW, but Cal. approved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2UUdMaB2wo&feature=relmfu

I don't think Cal approves of videos being unavailable in the US.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2011, 08:10:54 PM

I'm at the tail end of your generation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2011, 09:40:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2011, 08:10:54 PM

I'm at the tail end of your generation.

No, you're at the vangard of the next one.  Which makes you stupid.

Razgovory

Nah.  I'm stupid for completely different reasons.

Zoupa

I'm born in 78. Which generation am I part of? 

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on September 07, 2011, 09:53:31 PM
I'm born in 78. Which generation am I part of?

The same generation as Josef Stalin.

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2011, 08:58:34 PM
QuoteIncidentally NSFW, but Cal. approved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2UUdMaB2wo&feature=relmfu

I don't think Cal approves of videos being unavailable in the US.

Ironic isn't it.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"