News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 03:40:21 AM
Meh, it's an interesting piece, I wouldn't call it awesome though.

You do this on purpose, don't you? :angry:

Quote from: SytI like that the Silent Running bots are there, Nomad and the ones from Black Hole. The inclsion of Futurama bots seems a bit arbitrary.

Well, Bender obviously had to be there.  Losing him would be as big an omission as Data, given that, with the Terminator, they're easily the most famous pop culture robots.  I'm actually a bit surprised at no Robot Devil.

Which Nomad?  The real one or the one from Star Trek?  I don't see either...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 28, 2011, 03:56:14 AM

I usually require beautiful women, beautiful landscapes, or well drawn combat scenes for me to call a picture awesome. That picture has none of those. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 04:52:24 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 28, 2011, 03:56:14 AM

I usually require beautiful women, beautiful landscapes, or well drawn combat scenes for me to call a picture awesome. That picture has none of those.

The first is sexist, the second adolescent.  I guess the middle one is fine, I guess.

I demand emotion from my works, even if the emotion is something as extratextual as passion for science fiction and pop cultural robots.  I also prefer a narrative, and even in this case, there is one--"I've seen a lot of movies and TV shows, and they contributed to who I am, and I loved them, and you should love them too."  That's an adult statement.

What emotion, what information, exactly, is being conveyed by a picture of Abraham Lincoln on a fucking bear?  "OMG isn't it kewl that Honest Abe is on a bear?"  I mean, yeah, it's fine that you like it.  I'm not gonna tell somebody what to like.  You're a good guy.  Got bad taste, but I like some stupid shit too.  But the point is it doesn't strike me as a very adult statement.

Also, I'm jealous 'cause I can't paint, or--more relevantly--digitally render images as well.  I'm a competent penciller and colorist, but I'd like to be technically skilled enough that I could waste my time on something so trite, but instead do something really amazing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

I see the Timmay anti-taint comes into play.  :P

I enjoy some Sci-fi, but not the 'cowboys and indians' in space variety, and I'm not particularly keen on robots, but I thought it was a rather neat piece of artwork.

Is the artist British based, as I noticed a couple that might be obsure british tv programs, like I think metal mickey who was in a crap 1980s Saturday night quiz show.  :huh:

edit:
here it is, does it match the one in the artwork? :

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Is the six wheeled one in the front a representation of the Mars rover; cool if it was. ?

I agree, nice to see the robots from 'Silent Running' being given centre stage, probably my favourite robots and fav sci-fi film.

Ed Anger

Spike has more Timmay programming. Alternate History with a Nazi America.  :rolleyes:

I don't know which channel is worse, Spike with its retard programming, or TruTV white trash programming.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

It's been bugging me all day: what show was that Evil TV on the picture from?

And I loved robocat and robomouse on the Tom & Jerry cartoons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

The mechanical owl from the original Clash of the Titans was a nice touch.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2011, 10:11:51 AM
The mechanical owl from the original Clash of the Titans was a nice touch.

Good spot, I was wondering about that one.

There's a red topped one that looks like it might be from an obscure british kids programme.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 28, 2011, 05:45:53 AM
What emotion, what information, exactly, is being conveyed by a picture of Abraham Lincoln on a fucking bear?  "OMG isn't it kewl that Honest Abe is on a bear?"  I mean, yeah, it's fine that you like it.  I'm not gonna tell somebody what to like.  You're a good guy.  Got bad taste, but I like some stupid shit too.  But the point is it doesn't strike me as a very adult statement.
I have no problem telling people what to like.  And people who like pictures of Lincoln on a bear are retarded.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Robots > Abe Lincoln on a bear/Jeff Goldblum as George Washington Zombie Killer/etc
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

I once saw a picture that Jeff Goldblum painted while on LSD. It was very red.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?