News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Its so cute how terrified of the imaginary far left the far right are.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2011, 04:29:57 AM
QuoteHold Your Cat Correctly
By The Daily Cat experts

You're good to be concerned, as cats can feel pain when picked up the wrong way. Some very docile cats may tolerate the pain, but the last thing you and other thoughtful owners want to do is to hurt the cat.

One myth is that it's OK to pick up a cat by the scruff of its neck. Mother cats do that safely with their kittens, but it requires a special touch. Veterinarians sometimes use a similar technique. However, they are trained to lift a cat in such a manner.

The Humane Society advises that you approach the cat from either its left or right side, since most cats feel threatened when you come at them head-on. Place one hand under the "armpits" of the front legs and lift. As you do so, use your other hand to scoop up the cat from underneath. This second hand should act as a firm cradle support.

If you do this properly, the lift is like giving your cat a big, safe bear hug. Cats that are used to the treatment will probably approach you in the future, hoping for the positive attention again.

Who thinks you should pick up a cat by the scruff of its neck? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

No kidding, the only time I ever do that is when they need to be dissuaded from doing something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

I normally don't pick them up like that, but it's a convenient way if you're going to skin them.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2011, 04:29:57 AM
QuoteHold Your Cat Correctly
By The Daily Cat experts

You're good to be concerned, as cats can feel pain when picked up the wrong way. Some very docile cats may tolerate the pain, but the last thing you and other thoughtful owners want to do is to hurt the cat.

One myth is that it's OK to pick up a cat by the scruff of its neck. Mother cats do that safely with their kittens, but it requires a special touch. Veterinarians sometimes use a similar technique. However, they are trained to lift a cat in such a manner.

The Humane Society advises that you approach the cat from either its left or right side, since most cats feel threatened when you come at them head-on. Place one hand under the "armpits" of the front legs and lift. As you do so, use your other hand to scoop up the cat from underneath. This second hand should act as a firm cradle support.

If you do this properly, the lift is like giving your cat a big, safe bear hug. Cats that are used to the treatment will probably approach you in the future, hoping for the positive attention again.

Oh, I was doing it wrong for all of those years.  :(

In my defence, having two ex-feral cats meant picking them up with a hand under each 'armpit' ensured the claws were furthest away from any part of your body.  :cool:

They didn't seem to object, though I'm the only person to have ever picked them up. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 08:26:50 AM
No kidding, the only time I ever do that is when they need to be dissuaded from doing something.

I always found staring them down and then slowly and ever so lightly taping the bridge of their nose with a finger showed them who was boss.

HVC

Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2011, 08:34:08 AM

I always found staring them down and then slowly and ever so lightly taping the bridge of their nose with a finger showed them who was boss.
until they learn to attack your finger before you tap them lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on August 10, 2011, 06:06:38 AM

QuoteTrojan T-shirt targets German right-wing rock fans

Music fans who took souvenir T-shirts from a rock festival in Gera, eastern Germany, have discovered they hold a secret message.

The so-called Trojan T-shirts bore a design of a skull and right-wing flags and the words "hardcore rebels".

But, once washed, the design dissolves to reveal a message telling people to break with extremism.

Some 250 T-shirts were donated to organisers, who handed them out at the nationalist rock festival in Gera.

The stunt was organised by a left-wing group called Exit, which seeks to reduce the influence of the right-wing in Germany.

"What your T-shirt can do, so can you - we'll help you break with right-wing extremism," the message reads, and provides a contact number for the group.

On its website, Exit said it had made contact with the organisers of the Rock For Germany festival, in its ninth year, using a false name and had offered the T-shirts for free.

The group's founder, Bernd Wagner, said the group hoped its actions would raise awareness among young festival-goers.

"With these T-shirts, we aimed to make ourselves known among right-wingers, especially among young ones who are not yet fully committed to the extreme right," he said, according to the Agence France-Presse news agency.

The Rock For Germany festival had as its slogan "Never again communism - Freedom for Germany".

There was no official reaction from the festival's organisers but a text message was circulating among young people who attended warning them that the T-shirts were fake.

I see a flaw in the plan.  What if they never wash?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Yes that's the comment I saw someone make on facebook about this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 09:34:53 PM
Yes that's the comment I saw someone make on facebook about this.

That was me!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

I've started using a toy water gun for that. Though they seem to think of it as a challenge.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2011, 10:42:18 PM

I've started using a toy water gun for that. Though they seem to think of it as a challenge.

Do cats eventually get used to water?  It seems like they would.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 10:45:53 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2011, 10:42:18 PM

Do cats eventually get used to water?  It seems like they would.

Some do, some don't.

Tamas

Glenfiddich single malt whisky (12 yrs old iirc) is on sale at the local supermarket. It is still attricously expensive, but affordable.

Worth it?