News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

What do you expect him to do?  If he asked the owner "Can I please have sex with your dog", do you think he would've received a positive response?  Breaking in was his only reasonable option.

Razgovory

Today I discovered that there is a Cold Stone in town.  Tasty. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

The Big Dirk threw out the first pitch at the Rangers game last night but I didn't see if he made a good throw or not.

Syt

After a long break I've bought GEO Epoche, a German quarterly about history. They usually cover a topic rather well on their 170 pages, but I hate their style of writing: They like short sentences. And incomplete ones. Because they think it's cool. And adds tension. Well, all it does is irritate me.

Anyways, their topic this time is England - Rise of a Great Power 1066-1660 and covers:
- 1066: Norman Conquest
- 1215: King John and the Magna Carta
- 1381: Peasant Revolt (and peasants' everyday life)
- 1337-1453: Hundred Years War, with focus on Agincourt
- 1455-1485: Richard III and the War of the Roses
- 1475: Portrait of London as trade city
- 1530-1540: Thomas Cromwell, advisor of Henry VIII
- 1533-1603: Queen Elizabeth
- 1642-1660: The Civil War

There's also three short articles about the origins of the legends of King Arthur and Robin Hood and about the first English colony in Ameria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Interesting they skip the Tudor Henrys. They're the major focus in British colleges about the early days of England's rise- 7's unglamourous but very effective accounting and beginning to exert central power and then 8 with the obvious break from Rome.
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxHPW-l88f0&feature=youtu.be

:lol:

Maybe there IS something to grumbler's insane accusations about American police officers.  :hmm:

Syt

Well, they cover H8 in the context of Thomas Cromwell but focus on the advisor's rise, work and demise.

Come to think of it, English history seems dotted with people who rose up from (relative) obscurity to become highly influential only to end up being executed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2011, 07:44:05 AM
Well, they cover H8 in the context of Thomas Cromwell but focus on the advisor's rise, work and demise.

Come to think of it, English history seems dotted with people who rose up from (relative) obscurity to become highly influential only to end up being executed.

I think it's called having a reactionary ruling class, see Jeffrey Archer et al.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

This could be interesting.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on June 26, 2011, 07:41:22 AM

Maybe there IS something to grumbler's insane accusations about American police officers.  :hmm:

Don't fuck with people who fuck with people for a living.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2011, 09:44:11 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 26, 2011, 07:41:22 AM

Don't fuck with people who fuck with people for a living.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 26, 2011, 09:30:57 AM

This could be interesting.

:yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

So much for Taiwan being a free country vis-a-vis the ChiComs....

QuoteFood Blogger Jailed for Calling Noodles "Too Salty"
Published June 24, 2011 | NewsCore

TAIPEI -- A woman was jailed for 30 days by a Taiwanese court for writing on her food blog that a restaurant's noodles were too salty.
The blogger, named only as Liu, visited a Taichung beef noodle restaurant in 2008 and wrote on her blog that the cuisine there was "too salty," that the venue was unsanitary because there were cockroaches and that the owner was a "bully," the Taipei Times reported Thursday.
The restaurant's owner, known as Yang, learned about the review from a regular customer and sued Liu for defamation.
The Taichung District Court found that Liu's comments about the cockroaches were a "narration of the facts" but ruled that her criticism of the restaurant exceeded reasonable bounds because she only tried the noodles and two side dishes.
She was sentenced to 30 days in detention, two years of probation and was ordered her to pay $6,900 in compensation to the restaurant after an inspection found that the conditions were sanitary.
Liu, who apologized to the restaurant, was told by the judge that she could not appeal against the decision.
Yang said that he hoped the case would teach her a lesson.
Huang Cheng-lee, a lawyer in Taichung, said that bloggers who post restaurant reviews should remember to be "truthful, objective and fair" and should post photographs to support their comments.

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2011, 12:15:07 PM
So much for Taiwan being a free country vis-a-vis the ChiComs....
It's the sort of thing that you'd see in the UK.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.