And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

Fuck, I am tired.  I wanna stay home and sleep today but I don't have any sick days at work as part of my contract.   :rolleyes:

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 06, 2011, 10:15:03 PM
My natural inclination is toward database administration, but I'm trying to hone my programming skills as well.
The IT professional who is highly skilled in both programming and DBA skills is extremely unusual.  Companies rarely even expect employees to be proficient in both, and in trying to do so I think you may be over-reaching and under-specializing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2011, 10:48:48 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 06, 2011, 10:15:03 PM
My natural inclination is toward database administration, but I'm trying to hone my programming skills as well.
The IT professional who is highly skilled in both programming and DBA skills is extremely unusual.  Companies rarely even expect employees to be proficient in both, and in trying to do so I think you may be over-reaching and under-specializing.
Isn't Banana also studying to be a paralegal or something, or am I confusing him with someone else?

Josquius

I've seen very very database admin jobs going. Nought but programming. :(
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

I've been back in the US for just a week and I feel like I'm stuck in Limbo.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2011, 10:59:15 AM
Isn't Banana also studying to be a paralegal or something, or am I confusing him with someone else?

I was.  Long story short, I've been a techhead from day one, didn't go to school for computer science because of a phobia about job prospects, and didn't come back to it until I got a speech about how the paralegal studies advisor couldn't justify keeping me in the program and was wondering why I wasn't a computer science major in the first place.

Meantime, I've been so far ahead of the classes that I've had the curriculum majorly revised for me, which is something that didn't happen in paralegal, so I'm a little more confident I'm on the right track this time.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2011, 11:40:12 AM

Which is why I'm putting the effort into learning programming.  I could actually coast on my networking skills alone, but I want my coursework to be more marketable.

And you're right about it being rare, Cal.  I'm not gonna BS you about that; all my previous programming experience was event-driven, so classes in particular have been kicking my ass.  Nevertheless, I'm still coding circles around my classmates (and in a few cases, the teacher).
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 07, 2011, 01:43:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2011, 10:59:15 AM

I was.  Long story short, I've been a techhead from day one, didn't go to school for computer science because of a phobia about job prospects, and didn't come back to it until I got a speech about how the paralegal studies advisor couldn't justify keeping me in the program and was wondering why I wasn't a computer science major in the first place.

Meantime, I've been so far ahead of the classes that I've had the curriculum majorly revised for me, which is something that didn't happen in paralegal, so I'm a little more confident I'm on the right track this time.

:huh:  I've been a techie guy since I got my first coputer at age 9 or so, and seriously knew my way around AppleBasic way back in the day.

But I didn't want to be *that* much of a geek, so I went to lawschool instead.  Nobody ever gave me a speech about why I shouldn't be in law school though.  And it turns out I make a damn fine lawyer.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2011, 11:40:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand your post, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, then it makes sense since companies that develop software typically need more developers than DBAs.  OTOH, companies that don't develop software often need few to no developers, but still need production DBAs.  So maybe it's a factor of the types of companies prevalent in your neck of the woods.

Grey Fox

I think I'm morphing into a developers. Slowly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 07, 2011, 02:43:31 PM
I think I'm morphing into a developers. Slowly.

I've had a few forays into php and Java myself. Yick.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Java's ok.  Not that different from C# anymore.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2011, 02:52:13 PM
Java's ok.  Not that different from C# anymore.

I have to say the difference in available compilers since I first learned that stuff is fantastic. Lots of stuff is now automated. Swing, for example. It's great.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers