And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2010, 03:50:32 AM
Jewish easter? :unsure:

In many languages the word for Easter is the same as for what the English call "Passover", simply because it is derived from Hebrew in both cases (i.e., Christian celebration derived from the Jewish one which Christ celebrated). Why the English have retained an old pagan denomination (Easter) is unknown.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 01, 2010, 04:20:58 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2010, 03:50:32 AM
Jewish easter? :unsure:

In many languages the word for Easter is the same as for what the English call "Passover", simply because it is derived from Hebrew in both cases (i.e., Christian celebration derived from the Jewish one which Christ celebrated). Why the English have retained an old pagan denomination (Easter) is unknown.
Aha...I was just wondering why the Swedes call it påsk the other day. Makes sense.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

I have forayed into flag making.

Pacific Rim Alliance Treaty Organization flag

After the brutal Sino-Soviet War of 1969 and the
concurrent American victory in Vietnam, SEATO
fell apart and was replaced with a much more
effective organization.

The fiery ring represents the Ring of Fire that lies
on the edge of the Pacific Rim and the alliance's
armed might.

Members circa 1989 - United States, Canada,
Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, South
Vietnam, Australia, and New Zealand.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

The Pacific Rim is tainted. Now we're all really fucked.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

BVN

That's one horrible looking flag...

Quote from: Tamas on April 02, 2010, 04:00:30 AM
Jesus, Tim.
What he said!

jimmy olsen

Bah, you guys got no taste. It was praised elsewhere.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 04:10:24 AM

In Mordor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

If I were working on temp. contract in Korea, I would spend most of my freetime exploring the god damned country. Not drawing simplistic fantasy flags, dude :P

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on April 02, 2010, 04:14:54 AM
If I were working on temp. contract in Korea, I would spend most of my freetime exploring the god damned country. Not drawing simplistic fantasy flags, dude :P
I've done quite a bit of exploring.

Aren't most flags simplistic? I was afraid the ring might be criticized as being to fancy to be on a real flag.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 04:15:10 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2010, 04:11:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 04:10:24 AM

In Mordor.
What's wrong with it?

It looks like the One Ring on a flag.  Anyway, were the continental plates all mapped out in in 1968?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 04:18:39 AM

Aren't most flags simplistic? I was afraid the ring might be criticized as being to fancy to be on a real flag.

Well I dont want to be insulting, because I like you, but as someone who likes you and will probably never meet you I have the advantage of being able to be be truly honest: your "flag" looks like a slightly modified pic out of LOTR copy-pasted on a bright blue MS Pain background :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on April 02, 2010, 04:27:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 04:18:39 AM

Well I dont want to be insulting, because I like you, but as someone who likes you and will probably never meet you I have the advantage of being able to be be truly honest: your "flag" looks like a slightly modified pic out of LOTR copy-pasted on a bright blue MS Pain background :P
I really don't think it looks like the one ring.

As for the blue I picked it to represent the Pacific and contrast with the dark blue Atlantic of NATO

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 04:32:32 AM
I really don't think it looks like the one ring.

As for the blue I picked it to represent the Pacific and contrast with the dark blue Atlantic of NATO

Yes, it does look like the one ring.

And for a flag from 1968, the design is far too luminescent and photographic. It needs to be much more stylised.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."