News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Sometimes I get the impression that people don't care about 16th century Dutch paintings. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2024, 06:27:21 PMSometimes I get the impression that people don't care about 16th century Dutch paintings. :(

Well the 17th Century ones are far superior.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2024, 06:38:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2024, 06:27:21 PMSometimes I get the impression that people don't care about 16th century Dutch paintings. :(

Well the 17th Century ones are far superior.

:yes:

Bruegel can't old a candle to Rembrandt or Vermeer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Rembrandt insists upon himself.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2024, 09:03:13 PM:mad: The man was a god.

I love Albrecht Dürer.  That is my answer to that statement.

CountDeMoney

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2024, 04:21:46 PMI genuinely feel a tiny bit stupider from reading Jos's posts over the last few pages.

I get it dude.  You don't like London.  I feel your pain - I live in Canada and don't like the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto axis either.  I mean - put aside the fact there/s 2700 km between Edmonton and Toronto, versus 400km between Newcastle and London.

(Holy crap - only 400km?  That's a fucking day trip by car).

But that doesn't by any stretch mean that western Canada is more like, well I guess the USA, than it is eastern Canada.  I know from personal experience the Scots would be quite offended at the notion that northern England should be a part of Scotland (extreme edge cases like Berwick notwithstanding).

Said by someone who has never spent time in this part of the world...

You do realise distance works different in the old world right?
100km is a hell of a long way. Much of this developed in a period when walking was the main way of getting around.
It's irrelevant how far things are. You get some entire countries less than 400km across.

This has fuck all to do with "not liking London". London is actually an oddity in the comparison due to being such a different economic reality and being full of people from all over and not too many actual londoners these days.
I never said northern England should be part of Scotland. How the hell do you get that?
I pointed to the reality on the ground that people in the north are more like Scots than they are people in the south.
And yes, id imagine many in Scotland would get prissy about this as it damages their attempts to try and make out they're massively different to the dreaded English (the south) and so need independence , many in Scotland however can accept reality.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Yes. Europeans are very rooted in their immediate area. On Sundays I often walk down to the turnpike and watch city folks go by in their horseless carriages.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.