And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2009, 06:03:21 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 18, 2009, 05:55:42 AM
Why do westerners insist in learning how to say "Good morning" in Cantonese when they come to Hong Kong?  Every single one of them is like that.  We know how to say good morning in English, thank you very much. 
Polteness?

There is absolutely no expectation on our part for westerners to learn any Cantonese at all. 

HisMajestyBOB

It's our way of feeling smug and superior over those westerners who haven't learned how to say "Good morning".

"Yeah, I can speak Cantonese."
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 18, 2009, 07:08:50 AM
It's our way of feeling smug and superior over those westerners who haven't learned how to say "Good morning".

"Yeah, I can speak Cantonese."

Lol

Bob, take a look at this.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000342313378
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

One of these days I'm going to visit Hong Kong and learn a couple weeks worth of Cantonese before I go, which I will insist on reiterating to every Celestial I talk to.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Korea on November 16, 2009, 11:58:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2009, 05:45:29 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2009, 05:54:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2009, 05:35:29 PM
Oh crap, I think the cat may be planning on giving birth under my bed.
What's the problem?  One of the coolest experiences of my life was when the cat gave birth *in* my bed, while I was in it.
eww....
Well I only have one set of sheets so that would be very nasty indeed.

How can you sleep with a cat anyway? They're damn annoying as soon as it gets light, they start licking your face and being friendly <_<

Or biting and biting.

My cat certainy doesn't do that; if she did, she'd be swiftly booted off the bed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Why do westerners insist in learning how to say "Good morning" in Cantonese when they come to Hong Kong?  Every single one of them is like that.  We know how to say good morning in English, thank you very much.

In many Western cultures, making an effort to learn at least a bit of the local language (even if the locals speak perfect English) is considered polite - so much so that in some places, if you don't make the effort, some people may treat you rudely.

Doing so demonstrates you are making an effort.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Manners? I don't know. Whenever I travel I always learn to say "Good Morning", "Thank You" and "check out the blonde by the bar" in the language of the country I'm visiting.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 09:40:25 AM
In many Western cultures, making an effort to learn at least a bit of the local language (even if the locals speak perfect English) is considered polite - so much so that in some places, if you don't make the effort, some people may treat you rudely.

Doing so demonstrates you are making an effort.
And, more importantly, we have discovered that non-English speakers are generally untrustworthy, and by demonstrating some proficiency with their languages, we hope to reduce the likelihood of being targeted for fraud.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 09:38:05 AM
My cat certainy doesn't do that; if she did, she'd be swiftly booted off the bed.

You'd swiftboot your own cat? :o
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 18, 2009, 11:19:38 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 09:38:05 AM

You'd swiftboot your own cat? :o

If she started biting me while I slept? I'd go positively Bushitler on her.  :D

Zanza

Those two guys make funny faces.

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on November 18, 2009, 01:12:46 PM

Those two guys make funny faces.
Maybe they're having a Dguller moment? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Is that the Japanese navy (sorry, sorry, naval self defence force)? Sailor ship for peace, love!
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Any of you guys heared of Dan Carlin and his hardcore history pod casts??

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2009, 01:27:21 PM
Is that the Japanese navy (sorry, sorry, naval self defence force)? Sailor ship for peace, love!
I think that's the People's Liberation Army Navy (great name). Look at the red star on their hats.