News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: Yes - now the entire spire is visible without any scaffolding I assume we've moved to a high alert status for biological attacks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Its only the fact that someone died that has the cathedral not really milking that for advertising.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Do other cathedrals do a lot of advertising? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2024, 09:21:06 AMDo other cathedrals do a lot of advertising? :P
Local tourist board then :p
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2024, 09:21:06 AMDo other cathedrals do a lot of advertising? :P
... missionaries? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

In mega-year of elections Indonesia (which I feel is like the big important country that gets least coverage) has just elected a right-wing authoritarian, in one round, apparently following a successful Tik Tok re-brand as a cuddly grandpa figure :ph34r:

Also I feel like one of the big shifts from 2016 is that I think Wall Street is now comfortable with Trump/right-wing populism now - see Dimon's comments, or the response Milei got at Davos.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Well that sucks.
Is he doing the usual right wing populist in the tropics thing and declaring war on the jungles?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Semi-relatedly - new English translation out of Revolusi about Indonesian independence by David van Reybrouck, whose book on Congo is exceptional. If it's half as good as the Congo book it'll be very worth getting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2024, 04:34:13 PMSemi-relatedly - new English translation out of Revolusi about Indonesian independence by David van Reybrouck, whose book on Congo is exceptional. If it's half as good as the Congo book it'll be very worth getting.

I think it doesn't quite match Congo, but definitely a good read.

Syt

Cycling in 1899 was a lot more extreme! :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Man I wish I had a way of defending myself against book agents while cycling.

The Brain

Shooting dogs recreationally was more acceptable back then.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Dogs coming at you while you cycle is of no joking matter.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011