And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on February 07, 2022, 10:28:19 AM
I have never seen a Swedish cuisine restaurant except for Ikea.  :hmm:

A hotel restaurant in Zug, Switzerland had an annual tradition of a Swedish chef (NOT THAT ONE) coming in and offering smörgåsbord buffets for a few weeks. It was quite good. :)

(Currently on hiatus: https://www.parkhotel.ch/events/schwedenwochen-seit-2003/)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I keep seeing stuff about Chile's constitutional convention and thinking that it is, probably, the broad direction of all our politics. Both Pikachu and the dinosaur are delegates:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

After that MP did the Naruto run, it opened the floodgates.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2022, 03:17:16 PM
After that MP did the Naruto run, it opened the floodgates.
:lol: Yeah - I feel like that's where it all started.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2022, 10:30:57 AM
Quote from: Zanza on February 07, 2022, 10:28:19 AM
I have never seen a Swedish cuisine restaurant except for Ikea.  :hmm:

A hotel restaurant in Zug, Switzerland had an annual tradition of a Swedish chef (NOT THAT ONE) coming in and offering smörgåsbord buffets for a few weeks. It was quite good. :)

(Currently on hiatus: https://www.parkhotel.ch/events/schwedenwochen-seit-2003/)
My Google search suggests that there is a handful of Swedish restaurants in Germany. But seems to be very rare. There is a Danish café in the next town apparently. 

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on February 07, 2022, 03:22:06 PM
My Google search suggests that there is a handful of Swedish restaurants in Germany. But seems to be very rare. There is a Danish café in the next town apparently.

Do Danish hotdog stands count? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

There's a Swedish cafe in Newcastle.
Albeit no hot food. :(
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Long article in FT about German Springer media house (who own among others BILD and Welt in Germany, and recently bought Politico) dealing with the misconduct of former BILD editor in chief Julian Reichelt who used his position to "help" the career of female staff members in exchange for sexual favors.

https://www.ft.com/content/0317edd2-cf37-4d32-9e03-e7288904126c

Springer sites and papers have been vehemently outspoken against Covid measures and policies. In content they're about where Fox News sits, and their columnists and op ed writers would feel right at home with Tucker Carlson or Jeanine Piro. BILD has never been strong on journalistic integrity or human decency or let facts stand in the way of their agenda, but this has gotten worse under Reichelt, and particularly during the pandemic where they would regularly publish hit pieces on scientists and politicians to rile up public opinion. So keep that in mind with regards to these quotes from the article:

Sister publication Welt had to issue an apology last weekend, when they said in an article about how protesters against Covid policies were unjustly labeled nazis, just because they march together with nazis, "innocent Bundeswehr officers are pushed into the brown corner by super holocaust survivors and their PR departments."

Their editor in chief called it an unfortunate error during the digitalization of the article (they claim a link from an unrelated article was still cached) and that the intended wording was "super-left activists and their PR departments." :huh: :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2022, 04:29:40 PM
There's a Swedish cafe in Newcastle.
Albeit no hot food. :(

Semlor? :mmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Dunno. I don't like cake.

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2022, 02:56:21 AM
Long article in FT about German Springer media house (who own among others BILD and Welt in Germany, and recently bought Politico) dealing with the misconduct of former BILD editor in chief Julian Reichelt who used his position to "help" the career of female staff members in exchange for sexual favors.

https://www.ft.com/content/0317edd2-cf37-4d32-9e03-e7288904126c

Springer sites and papers have been vehemently outspoken against Covid measures and policies. In content they're about where Fox News sits, and their columnists and op ed writers would feel right at home with Tucker Carlson or Jeanine Piro. BILD has never been strong on journalistic integrity or human decency or let facts stand in the way of their agenda, but this has gotten worse under Reichelt, and particularly during the pandemic where they would regularly publish hit pieces on scientists and politicians to rile up public opinion. So keep that in mind with regards to these quotes from the article:

Sister publication Welt had to issue an apology last weekend, when they said in an article about how protesters against Covid policies were unjustly labeled nazis, just because they march together with nazis, "innocent Bundeswehr officers are pushed into the brown corner by super holocaust survivors and their PR departments."

Their editor in chief called it an unfortunate error during the digitalization of the article (they claim a link from an unrelated article was still cached) and that the intended wording was "super-left activists and their PR departments." :huh: :rolleyes:

Die Bild-Zeitung ist ein Organ der Niedertracht. Es ist falsch, sie zu lesen. Jemand, der zu dieser Zeitung beiträgt, ist gesellschaftlich absolut inakzeptabel. Es wäre verfehlt, zu einem ihrer Redakteure freundlich oder auch nur höflich zu sein. Man muss so unfreundlich zu ihnen sein, wie es das Gesetz gerade noch zuläßt. Es sind schlechte Menschen, die Falsches tun.

Syt

Max Goldt.  :cool:

Edit: and Welt has also been drifting off further and further to the right.

The only good news is that in recent years the print numbers for BILD are in steep decline, and their online subs also don't seem to be doing too well.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

I remember that we had a Welt subscription in the mid 90s. It was still a respectable liberal paper back then in my recollection. These days with Poschardt, it's terrible. Similar with Focus, also drifted right in my perception. The only conservative paper I can still respect is FAZ.

Savonarola

There's a million Cuban restaurants in South Florida; to stand out you've got to do something different.  A restauranteur from New York wants to open one inspired by Fidel Castro and Che Guevara hangout in Mexico.  That certainly is going to stand out in Miami.
(He does have successful branches of this concept in Tokyo, New York and Malibu; but none of those cities has anywhere near the population of Cuban refugees as Miami.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

He should find a restaurant with a Batista theme and evict them.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.