News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Give us something new to talk about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2022, 12:56:20 PM
Man, this place has gotten quiet, last post was over 3 hours ago.  :hmm:

Sorry, I was at the movies.

Hint:
:bowler:   :elvis:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on January 28, 2022, 04:33:20 PM
A smuggler was caught with some other Indians in the us. On of the theories is that this family was part of a larger group that got separated

These motels don't run themselves.

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 30, 2022, 01:34:01 PM
Give us something new to talk about.

Everyone share your dick pic
██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

So, Spain held its Eurovision candidate selection contest this past weekend. Non-shockingly, the jury selected the most boring act possible.

The two favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WqBxwAbJY&ab_channel=RTVEM%C3%BAsica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGN9efcACw&ab_channel=RTVEM%C3%BAsica

The winner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO2yGXVQCfo&ab_channel=RTVEM%C3%BAsica

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 31, 2022, 04:19:01 AM
So, Spain held its Eurovision candidate selection contest this past weekend. Non-shockingly, the jury selected the most boring act possible.

The two favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WqBxwAbJY&ab_channel=RTVEM%C3%BAsica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGN9efcACw&ab_channel=RTVEM%C3%BAsica

The winner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO2yGXVQCfo&ab_channel=RTVEM%C3%BAsica

Oh man, people went absolutely nuts with this over here, if you checked any form of social media it's as if notihng else was happening. And of course people are not happy at all with the result, reactions go from the purely butthurt to conspiracy theories about nefarious TVE plots.

celedhring

Was reading an article on the pro-indy press that establishes this as proof of Spain's backwardness and lack of real pluralism and solid democratic institutions. Kid you not.  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 31, 2022, 06:40:50 AM
Was reading an article on the pro-indy press that establishes this as proof of Spain's backwardness and lack of real pluralism and solid democratic institutions. Kid you not.  :lol:

Doesn't surprise me the slightest, I've been reading similar things over here.  :P

celedhring

To be honest, I just think the jury went with the thing that sounded more like the things that are popular right now. But it's boring.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 31, 2022, 06:43:15 AM
To be honest, I just think the jury went with the thing that sounded more like the things that are popular right now. But it's boring.

I don't think it's even that popular, according to people more knowledgeable about Eurovision than me it's an act that could have had its time and place 10-15 years ago, but has been outdated as an Eurovision act for a while. I think it's more the usual "we don't really want to win this" attitude with which TVE has faced every single Eurovision artist selection it has had to deal with.  :P That coupled with a rather conventional taste and pro-corporate attitude amongst (parts of) the professional jury.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2022, 06:47:13 AM

I don't think it's even that popular, according to people more knowledgeable about Eurovision than me it's an act that could have had its time and place 10-15 years ago, but has been outdated as an Eurovision act for a while. I think it's more the usual "we don't really want to win this" attitude with which TVE has faced every single Eurovision artist selection it has had to deal with.  :P That coupled with a rather conventional taste and pro-corporate attitude amongst (parts of) the professional jury.

I don't think any of the other two acts would've won either (maybe Rigoberta would have had a very small chance if they were able to sell the feminist narrative, but the song in itself it sorta bleh). But at least they would have been more memorable. Our entries are always so boring.

Sheilbh

Professional juries are always cowards <_< They always pick the blandest most boring song that they think "sounds like Eurovision" but they're normally snobs who don't really watch, like or understand Eurovision.

The songs should either be chosen by the public to produce chaos. Or just play all the options to gay clubs across the country and choose the one that gets the best response.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Eurovision fever  :w00t: :w00t:

The boob song.  :lol: :lol:
Terra was interesting but lacks fun break downs.
SloMo, I liked it but it is generic. Has a striper song ever won Eurovision?

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 31, 2022, 06:59:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2022, 06:47:13 AM

I don't think any of the other two acts would've won either (maybe Rigoberta would have had a very small chance if they were able to sell the feminist narrative, but the song in itself it sorta bleh). But at least they would have been more memorable. Our entries are always so boring.

Don't know, but at least they'd be much more distinctive than all the generic stuff Spain has been sending for ages. As I said, I think that TVE's prime directive when selecting a song is "make sure it can't win no matter what".  :P

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2022, 07:02:59 AM
Professional juries are always cowards <_< They always pick the blandest most boring song that they think "sounds like Eurovision" but they're normally snobs who don't really watch, like or understand Eurovision.

In this case the accusation to the professional jury (all of them veterans of the industry who have been involved with Eurovision in some capacity for years) is more of corporatism/insiderism, as one of its members seems to be a long time colleague of the eventual winner and the selected song is more of the Eurovision "format" (ie, written by a platoon of mercenary international songwriters and performed by a nobody), while the other two had their own personality and style (and were written by the performers themselves).

QuoteThe songs should either be chosen by the public to produce chaos. Or just play all the options to gay clubs across the country and choose the one that gets the best response.

One of the "conspiracy" theories going on is that TVE precisely want to avoid the "chaos" of purely popular voting, as the last time they did that (2008) the audience selected a troll comedy act that apparently rubbed the Spanish organizers the wrong way massively. It was Spain's best performance in a long time (and the song itself was a novelty hit as well), but that was irrelevant for TVE.

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 31, 2022, 07:58:54 AMHas a striper song ever won Eurovision?

It used to be a kind of song that was quite popular in Eurovision back in the late 90s/early 00s, and you still get one or two like that every year (chances are that it's from Greece, Cyprus or Turkey), but it's been a while since a song of that style won the competition.