News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I admit my knowledge of the areas history mostly ends with the Jacobites and clearances.
Interesting they flipped even in the Gaelic speaking areas.
Or is it more those areas remained gaelic as those clans had already converted?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2021, 11:08:11 AM

I admit my knowledge of the areas history mostly ends with the Jacobites and clearances.
Interesting they flipped even in the Gaelic speaking areas.
Or is it more those areas remained gaelic as those clans had already converted?
There's a few very remote islands like Barra or Uist that are almost entirely still Catholic and Gaelic speaking. And in terms of the connection with the language - it's a bit like Wales and Welsh, the first printed Gaelic books are things like the new Kirk's prayer book/liturgy.

But also Scotland's Reformation is very different to England's. England helps spread some Protestant texts into the Lowlands - but there's also a lot of Scots going round Europe studying in Paris and Leuven and Germany and Switzerland. They are engaging with the Reformation in Europe and translating back into Scots and English. They come home and start preaching and are often forced in and out of Scotland or burned. But it's a popular Reformation - they convert the people and some lords which basically leads to a revolution against Mary of Guise and the establishment of Scotland as Reformed. But it's the opposite of England where Protestant monarchs force a conversion on the country, in Scotland the people are converted despite Catholic monarchs.

So I think Scotland becomes Reformed in 1560 and by 1565 there are already Gaelic texts for the Kirk. By the 1630s estimates are that about Scotland's about 90-95% Protestant and the only hold-outs are a few very remote islands and a few aristocrats, which again is very different from England where there's been multiple Catholic uprisings. So famously John Knox comes to prominence with his First Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women - and spends his time chastising the Catholic Mary Queen of Scots (there's a big stained glass window of it in the Mound). Similarly one of the distinctive features of Scottish Protestantism is their very strong identification with Israel - so the symbol is a Saltire with the burning bush - so the Kirk, especially in the 16th century, basically sees the Scottish people as the successor to the Jews. They are the new chosen people which is why they are constantly making covenants but ties the Kirk into national identity and coheres Scotland and Scottishness in a way. It's a very different route and experience to England and probably closer to what happened in the Netherlands or Germany.

Support for Jacobitism was dynastic and clans and political, not an indication of Catholicism as it is in England.

Edit: Although the person who would probably know more and we should ask is Garbo I think?

Edit: And you can even still see it in a map of Catholics in modern Scotland - there's a few of the small outer Hebrides and Clydeside but most of the Highlands and the big slands like Lewis and Skye are not very Catholic:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Sheilbh

No country is better at the theatre of nationalism/civic honour than France - Le Chant des Partisans as Josephine Baker is entered to the Pantheon last night:
https://twitter.com/JohannMargulies/status/1465785973174845440?s=20
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I really like Channel 4's Taskmaster.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2021, 01:26:58 PM

:yes:
It's fantastic.
Kids watch it with you?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2021, 02:42:46 PM

It's fantastic.
Kids watch it with you?

No, the thought didn't occur to me. I'll see if they are interested. I suspect they'll drop off quick enough when they realize it's not in french.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2021, 02:46:50 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2021, 02:42:46 PM

It's fantastic.
Kids watch it with you?

No, the thought didn't occur to me. I'll see if they are interested. I suspect they'll drop off quick enough when they realize it's not in french.
Ah yeah, that's a sticking point.
Apparently it's popular with kids over here though.

I wonder how long before they do a French version. I know there's been 2 scandi versions and a awful failure of an American version so far.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I would never subject anyone to a made in France version.
A dubbed of UK version sure but not an original France one.

Eddie Teach

What's this about garbon and special knowledge about the Reformation in Scotland? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Tudors and that. Mary Queen of Scots etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

BB I had Ukrainians cabbage rolls in Saskatoon today. With pierogies.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 01, 2021, 05:27:26 PM
BB I had Ukrainians cabbage rolls in Saskatoon today. With pierogies.

So jealous...

But they're called holopchi!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Indeed they are haha. Saskatoon is actually a really nice city. At least the part I'm in. Next to the river close to the university.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Following the birth of his son, Sebastian Kurz retires from politics at age 34. He will start a new job next year. The cynic in me believes he retires "for now."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.