News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2021, 08:56:42 AM
Austria has had 3 heads of government in the past 2 months.

Meanwhile in Germany:

Germans like to commit to their F... leader.

The Minsky Moment

Before Kohl was Schmidt for 8 years.  And Brandt would have likely stuck around much longer absent the scandals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2021, 04:27:15 AM
The concert also made the news here in Spain because they hired a washed Spanish girl-band from the 2000s (Las Ketchup).

And the lead singer of Ace of Base was also there... man, they should have brought in Aqua and Natalie Imbruglia too.  :lol:

Ace of Base is '90s, not 2000s.  :P

Eddie Teach

I saw the sign, and kept walking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

So this showed up as a recommended Tweet in my feed ....  :whistle:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Wish me luck I'm just going to cut my hair.  :wacko:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2021, 12:46:33 PM
So this showed up as a recommended Tweet in my feed ....  :whistle:

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Something I remembered thanks to Youtube:

I cannot watch British-made TV series about Russian stuff like War and Peace, because I cannot stomach the very British-looking faces and British mannerism from supposedly Russian characters. Is that racism, and is it on the same level of being bothered by black actors playing white historical people (which I am not that much, I think, although it wouldn't be my first choice).

Josquius

It is why I eye roll at people upset over a dark Italian playing an Arab for instance. They at least look vaguely like they could be from there.
With Brits playing Russians... I do think it's close enough to be fine.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2021, 06:06:37 AM

I cannot watch British-made TV series about Russian stuff like War and Peace, because I cannot stomach the very British-looking faces and British mannerism from supposedly Russian characters. Is that racism, and is it on the same level of being bothered by black actors playing white historical people (which I am not that much, I think, although it wouldn't be my first choice).

What kind of British mannerisms do you refer to? What do they do (or don't do) that makes it that clear for you that they're British actors?

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 06:17:27 AM

What kind of British mannerisms do you refer to? What do they do (or don't do) that makes it that clear for you that they're British actors?

It's probably the combination of looks and accents. Now, it isn't universal. For example I enjoyed the Chernobyl series greatly despite the accents there and in general it would be far worse if these actors spoke English with fake Russian accents.

But in a more "costumed" historical setting it just breaks my immersion for some reason. It just feels like watching Tudors or Downton Abbey.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2021, 06:23:48 AMBut in a more "costumed" historical setting it just breaks my immersion for some reason. It just feels like watching Tudors or Downton Abbey.

Isn't that a bit nitpicky? I mean, blockbuster period pieces in which everyone is and sounds British is the standard for every historical setting from the Roman Empire onwards.

Duque de Bragança

More like ethnocentrism. Like when Brits insist when people speaking in their language do not use a word that could be misconstrued in English, if translated.
It's bordering on racism at times, yes.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 06:36:58 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2021, 06:23:48 AMBut in a more "costumed" historical setting it just breaks my immersion for some reason. It just feels like watching Tudors or Downton Abbey.

Isn't that a bit nitpicky? I mean, blockbuster period pieces in which everyone is and sounds British is the standard for every historical setting from the Roman Empire onwards.

I am not saying it is a rational thing, I am just saying I have noticed in myself. Could be because of the (low) level of acting for all I know.