And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 22, 2021, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2021, 09:18:11 AM
It's not like nowadays statues are destroyed when removed from a public place. The Barcelona city council has a hefty amount of statues in storage and occasionally sets up exhibits to show them.

The "headless horseman" Franco statue was quite infamous  :P

Did they remove the Franco statues in, say, Burgos?  :P

AFAIK there's not a single Franco statue in public exhibition anywhere in Spain at the moment. The last one was removed earlier this year in Melilla.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 22, 2021, 10:07:09 AM
It's not like nowadays statues are destroyed when removed from a public place. The Barcelona city council has a hefty amount of statues in storage and occasionally sets up exhibits to show them.

AFAIK there's not a single Franco statue in public exhibition anywhere in Spain at the moment. The last one was removed earlier this year in Melilla.

Thanks.
I still remember the one just outside the Burgos railway station entrance, that's why I asked.

Josquius

They recieved the memo this wasn't endearing them to Spain?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Incidentally in terms of cancel culture the one I always wonder about is when it's to do with the artist and the guy I think of is Eric Gill.

He designed that is iconic and used for Tube signs, the BBC, lots of railway signage - as well as the stations of the cross in Westminster Cathedral and the incredible art deco reliefs on Broadcasting House, like Ariel between Wisdom and Gaiety:

He was widely seen as an incredbly important and respected artist and craftsman with the Arts & Crafts movement and art deco in the UK- so really, really important (especially if, like me, you love that interwar design).

And then his biography came out with lots of information from his diaries and interview from family members that revealed he was an absolutely monstrous man. He physically abused his wife, sexually abused his two teenage daughters, had incestuous relations (unclear how coercive he was in this) with his sisters and sex with his pet dogs. And of course he kept his family incredibly isolated in a house outside a tiny Welsh village. Just an utter monster on a personal level. But an incredible artist whose work I like a lot.

I suppose it all depends on how detachable the work is from the artist so the typefaces feel fine, but I'm slightly less comfortable with the stations of the cross, say, still being in a religious setting (especially as Westminster Cathedral in its bumph just talks about Gill the artist) rather than just a more sanitised art gallery context, similarly he did lots of nude sketches and woodcuts that are probably a little bit uncomfortable now. I'd certainly feel suspect of someone who collected them :lol:

It feels strange though because normally those artists who are monsters are the preserve of galleries and special rarefied spaces - while Gill is sort of inveigled into everyday life here. Every time you get a train, watch the BBC, go on the underground you're interacting with a little bit of his work.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 22, 2021, 10:11:09 AM

Thanks.
I still remember the one just outside the Burgos railway station entrance, that's why I asked.

No idea at all about when the Burgos statue was removed, not even after a cursory Google search. In which year did you see it?

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2021, 10:12:13 AMThey recieved the memo this wasn't endearing them to Spain?

They (with many other places, they were not alone in this), mightily dragged their feet on the issue (i.e., the application of the 2007 Historic Memory Law, which mandated amongst several other things the removal of all Francoist monuments and symbology from public spaces).

AFAIK Melilla used to have two Franco statues, a larger more prominent one, which was removed much earlier, and this other one, which was much smaller and dedicated to him due to his military history in the city (he was commander of the Legion in the 20s, and as such took part in the Rif War and the defence of the city against Moroccan attacks). This smaller statue was removed from the place it used to be located to a more secluded spot, and only removed definitely earlier this year.

celedhring

There are quite a few stealth Francoist monuments remaining though.

This obelisk in Barcelona (in a very centric location) was erected to celebrate his victory over the Republic (replacing a previous monument celebrating the Second Spanish Republic), and still stands to this day. The plaque was removed decades ago and most people nowadays don't know its meaning.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 22, 2021, 11:13:29 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 22, 2021, 10:11:09 AM

Thanks.

No idea at all about when the Burgos statue was removed, not even after a cursory Google search. In which year did you see it?

Not in recent years. Could be 15 or even 20 years ago. I was still a bit surprised back then. I would seldom change trains in Burgos on my way back to Paris, as a matter of fact.

I expected the former Nationalist capital to have kept them for a while.

schaksen

Any new development, this seems quite extreme to accidentally kill the head camera woman and seriously injure the director!
Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2021, 08:22:52 AM
Your WTF story of the day: https://www.news4jax.com/entertainment/2021/10/22/alec-baldwin-fires-prop-firearm-kills-woman-on-a-new-mexico-movie-set-reports/   :blink:
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2021, 08:22:52 AM
Your WTF story of the day: https://www.news4jax.com/entertainment/2021/10/22/alec-baldwin-fires-prop-firearm-kills-woman-on-a-new-mexico-movie-set-reports/   :blink:

No one learned from Brandon Lee's example.  Also IATSE claims the prop manager was non-union, which may or may not turn out to be relevant.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2021, 06:03:11 PM
I didn't know that a little bit of water renders ovenmitts useless.  Burned the shit out a my thumb

You shouldn't type so fast.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2021, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2021, 06:03:11 PM
I didn't know that a little bit of water renders ovenmitts useless.  Burned the shit out a my thumb

You shouldn't type so fast.

That's Berkut
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

:o I have not.
QuoteFergus Butler-Gallie
@_F_B_G_
Have YOU seen a better book today? I doubt it.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Ukraine still has a standing Lenin statue. In Chernobyl.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on October 23, 2021, 09:20:03 AM

I saw a couple of them in Crimea before the annexation, I wonder if they survived.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on October 23, 2021, 09:49:35 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 23, 2021, 09:20:03 AM

I saw a couple of them in Crimea before the annexation, I wonder if they survived.

I guess so.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.