Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2021, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2021, 02:48:44 PM
That's so cool :)

... and cold too, I bet.

From what I remember it wasn't too bad.

Now the time I spent 3 days in Arviat, Nunavut (which is on the western shore of Hudson Bay, though south of the circle) in January - THAT was cold.

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
I took the train across the Arctic Circle. :)

Neat!  Is there any story to go along with that?

My company sent some people to Rankin Inlet for a month at a time. in winter. they too said it was cold :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 13, 2021, 03:23:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2021, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2021, 02:48:44 PM
That's so cool :)

... and cold too, I bet.

From what I remember it wasn't too bad.

Now the time I spent 3 days in Arviat, Nunavut (which is on the western shore of Hudson Bay, though south of the circle) in January - THAT was cold.

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
I took the train across the Arctic Circle. :)

Neat!  Is there any story to go along with that?

My company sent some people to Rankin Inlet for a month at a time. in winter. they too said it was cold :lol:

I didn't make it to Rankin, but I did make it to Whale Cove, which is just a tiny bit south of it.

Your friends were correct. -_-

A month would be rough.  There's not exactly a lot to do up there in the winter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

There's now a ice rink to spend your time in, thanks to us lol. Which i found funny.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2021, 03:32:02 PM
A month would be rough.  There's not exactly a lot to do up there in the winter.

I guess bring a gaming PC/ console and a good stack of books.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2021, 04:49:04 PM

I was there in 2009, so no longer all that recent, but there was no internet available.  Same thing in Yukon - depending on what community you went to, and what kind of accommodations they had, there wasn't always internet available.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2021, 04:54:16 PM

I was there in 2009, so no longer all that recent, but there was no internet available.  Same thing in Yukon - depending on what community you went to, and what kind of accommodations they had, there wasn't always internet available.

I would love a month of being completely unplugged from my smartphone/email drudgery.

Jacob

Yeah for sure. Still plenty of good games that don't require internet. Same thing with most books :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2021, 05:06:49 PM

I would love a month of being completely unplugged from my smartphone/email drudgery.

Sure, a month away from work email. But a month with no internet at all? Would drive me crazy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Some rail scene minis by Tatsuya Tanaka. :wub:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Awesome.

Are those ultra small gauge Japanese trains as expensive as hornby gauge? I can't remember.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The Spanish Traffic Authority has just banned dark-coloured face masks during driving exams. Apparently people were using them to hide exam aids or even earpieces  :lol:

Savonarola

Quiz Time!

Which Bond Character are You?

QuoteYou are Q. You can do more damage on your laptop, sitting in your pyjamas, than most people can in a year. You're cleverer than you look, and that's better than looking cleverer than you.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

QuoteYOU ARE
MISS MONEYPENNY
You are Miss Moneypenny. You're loyal, efficient, and indispensable, but you're over-cautious. You should get out in the field. Still, it's not for everyone.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.