News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Finding the Sabina Nessa story really grim - it's a bit like Sarah Everard earlier this year. A woman making a short walk, in this case five minutes to the pub, and being kidnapped and murdered :(

Hopefully this time it won't be a policeman but it's just similarly grim and feels like one of several stranger murders we've had in the last few months which is the scariest sort of crime.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Cultural Appropriation!  :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

:lol:

What to drink with it though? German "champagne" perhaps  :P

Josquius

Hitler is rolling in his grave.

(in Argentina)
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2021, 07:45:24 AM

What to drink with it though? German "champagne" perhaps  :P

That would be Sekt. -_-

That said, kebab pizza can be great. One Turkish pizza/chicken/kebab place here made a mean kebab pizza :mmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2021, 07:45:24 AM

What to drink with it though? German "crémant" or "vin effervescent" perhaps  :P

Fixed! Syt is correct obviously but I guess out of deference for BoJo's French language education you needed a perfectly legal French translation.  :D

Syt

https://twitter.com/Cintari_/status/1441489827212443650?s=20

QuoteWhy do programmers confuse Christmas with Halloween? Because Oct 31 is Dec 25.

:lmfao:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Josquius

Something about base 8 and base 10 numbers? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2021, 07:11:03 AM
:bleeding:

Come on, that was good. Kudos to the person who made the connection.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Janos Baksa-Soos, a 73 years old ex-musician died in Germany yesterday.

His fate is a very brutal example of what oppressive regimes can do to people's lives.

I didn't even hear about him until a few years ago. He was the songwriter-singer frontman of a Hungarian rock band called Kex. It was a band which lasted about 3 years at the very end of the 60s. There's barely any recording of theirs which has survived.

So no wonder I never heard of him until reading some articles some years ago, but a LOT of famous and/or influential Hungarian rock musicians who got to fame in the 70s name him as their main inspiration due to his stage presence, lyrics, etc.

Clearly, in a more open society he was destined to become a star. But his care-free attitude when it came to authority really seemed to disagree with the communist state. He was constantly hounded by the police. Harassed, arrested, even beaten several times. They just made it impossible to him to live, so he fled to Western Germany in 1971. He never played in a band again, he became some sort of a graphics/performance artist I think. As I understand he was known in the Berlin scene but that's about it.

ulmont

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 26, 2021, 09:07:53 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2021, 07:11:03 AM
:bleeding:

Come on, that was good. Kudos to the person who made the connection.

I don't have the book handy to doublecheck, but I remember Isaac Asimov's "Black Widowers" mystery stories had a story with this theme and I'm pretty sure the name was "Halloween."

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2021, 07:52:43 AM
Something about base 8 and base 10 numbers? :hmm:

Yes.  Octal 31 (abbreviated oct 31) is the same as decimal 25 (abbreviated dec 25).

And yes, I had to look that up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I hope y'all going to go to the Hunting "World Fair" in Hungary. They spent criminally insane amounts of money on it with the excuse of it attracting one million visitors.

I mean, where else you could walk on the set of the Hannibal series' next season?