News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Also, "least important" - at least phrase it like "most junior" or something. :D

The general response on r/Austria was not accomodating. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

That's pretty scummy of the American.
And $20 minimum wage? Wow. That's great
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

At least it's a paid intership, right?  :hmm:

This is actually something that should come up more frequently if international remote working becomes much more widespread. Which labour law regulates the contract, the one from the employer's country or from the employee's?

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2021, 02:45:45 AM
That's pretty scummy of the American.
And $20 minimum wage? Wow. That's great

Depends on the collective bargaining agreement in your industry.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2021, 03:45:40 AM
This is actually something that should come up more frequently if international remote working becomes much more widespread. Which labour law regulates the contract, the one from the employer's country or from the employee's?
Yeah I think the principle with labour law - like with tax - is based on actual residence/physical presence with some exceptions (especially in Europe) for posted workers and frontier workers. Plus, at least in the UK but I think in all of Europe, employment contracts aren't necessarily seen as a "fair bargain" where you just apply the contract because there's an imbalance of power. So legally the courts, taxman, regulators etc will look at what's actually happening rather than just rely on the contract.

This is going to be another obstacle for moving to easy international remote working for actual workers as opposed to free-lancers/contractors. Or we need to consider a new model? I'm not really sure what workable alternatives there are though because there's no way if you employ someone in, say Austria, that Austrian authorities are going to either enforce US law or basically opt out of regulating a worker in their own state.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Really? 3% of Americans have not heard of "Italy"? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Slightly fascinated and surprised that Switzerland's so high :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Fondue was a big thing there in the 70s haha
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Btw, I thought about ordering food yesterday. One place actually offered "Southern chicken" with Belgian waffles and maple glaze :lol:

(I was not brave enough).
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2021, 06:22:13 AMReally? 3% of Americans have not heard of "Italy"? :P

Or the UK, or Ireland, or Spain...  :P

Only 1% have not heard of Germany, though.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

I'm surprised it's that low.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2021, 06:22:13 AM
Really? 3% of Americans have not heard of "Italy"? :P

3% of everyone surveyed either doesn't know how to respond to a survey or is just messing around.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The real question is that among those who claim to recognize Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, how many people can distinguish them from one another.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2021, 07:27:02 AM
The real question is that among those who claim to recognize Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, how many people can distinguish them from one another.

Shouldn't be that hard; Liechtenstein was a man, and Luxembourg was a woman.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2021, 06:40:43 AM
Btw, I thought about ordering food yesterday. One place actually offered "Southern chicken" with Belgian waffles and maple glaze :lol:

(I was not brave enough).

Belgian waffles is pretty vague.
Liège/Luik/Liège or Bruxelles/Brussel(s)/Brüssel? I would suppose Bruxelles but I would not be surprised if they put sugar or worse, on Liège waffles.  :D