And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on August 10, 2021, 11:26:37 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 10, 2021, 09:15:15 AM
Question for Spanish speakers (or anyone else who knows), why is Havana "La Habana" in Spanish?  (That is why does it take the definite article, not why is it spelled with a b rather than with a v.)

In general, the use of article in the name of a place denotes a common noun that's treated as a proper noun - it probably referred to a local feature (one theory traces it to "savanna") that was used to denote the whole place. However, given that the origin of the name is lost to time (there are many theories) it's difficult to say.

Ah, like El Paso or Las Vegas then, thanks.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Question for Spanish speakers (or anyone else who knows), why is Havana "La Habana" in Spanish?  (That is why does it take the definite article, not why is it spelled with a b rather than with a v.)

Its original name when founded was "San Cristóbal de la Habana", from that it was shortened to just La Habana. Same with Los Ángeles, originally named "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles".

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2021, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 10, 2021, 10:38:08 AM

Same could be asked for the Ukraine, the Gambia, or the OSU.

'The' was dropped from Ukraine as preferred form in the 90s.

When Ukraine achieved independence, it stated that the country's name was "Ukraine" while "the Ukraine" referred to an area, not a country and was no longer applicable. 

The Gambia, like the Congo, retains the article because it is names after the river that flows through it.  THEE OSU is a mere affectation preferred by idiots.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Why are the names so long? The Spanish didn't have paragraph long names for their towns back in Europe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on August 10, 2021, 01:19:07 PM

Its original name when founded was "San Cristóbal de la Habana", from that it was shortened to just La Habana. Same with Los Ángeles, originally named "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles".

So then is Celedhring correct then that "Habana" is a word of unknown origin?

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on August 10, 2021, 01:54:48 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 10, 2021, 01:19:07 PM

So then is Celedhring correct then that "Habana" is a word of unknown origin?

Apparently it's not known for sure, yeah. One theory says that it derives from the name of the Taino chief of that area, other says that it's a corruption of the original taino name of the area, or from a local legend. To make matters worse, the word is spelled in many different ways over the years (Habana only became the final version in the late XVIIIth, early XIXth century, before that it was written Havana, Hauana or Abana.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2021, 01:51:45 PM
Why are the names so long? The Spanish didn't have paragraph long names for their towns back in Europe.

You start naming places after patron saints, you're bound to end up with really long names eventually.  :P

Threviel

Quote from: alfred russel on August 10, 2021, 10:31:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2021, 04:45:32 PM
Professional snake hunters, like in India do pretty well grabbing them by the tail.

Spending some time thinking about this (no more than 6 or 7 hours), I saw lots of people wrestle alligators as a kid (I'm from Florida) and the alligator never won. Crocodiles aren't alligators but for someone that knows what they are doing, it may not be that difficult.

Go see if you can find a video of someone wrestling a croc. Successfully that is.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2021, 01:51:45 PM

Because we didn't name them, they were hand-me-downs from the Romans/Arabs/Iberians/whatever.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 10, 2021, 01:46:39 PM

When Ukraine achieved independence, it stated that the country's name was "Ukraine" while "the Ukraine" referred to an area, not a country and was no longer applicable. 

Perhaps we should reenter "the Ukraine" in the lexicon as the area controlled by the country has shrunk a bit? "Ukraine" referring to the country while "the Ukraine" referring to the greater Ukraine territory that irredentists dream of reuniting?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 10, 2021, 03:10:14 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 10, 2021, 01:46:39 PM

Perhaps we should reenter "the Ukraine" in the lexicon as the area controlled by the country has shrunk a bit? "Ukraine" referring to the country while "the Ukraine" referring to the greater Ukraine territory that irredentists dream of reuniting?

Sure.  Go right ahead.  *Turns and runs away*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Well I won't forget that August 10th in a hurry, first I had to take my cat with suspected rat bait poisoning to the vets, wasn't expecting her to survive, but she's home now.

Later in the evening I had to oversee my elderly mother going into hospital, not ideal this time of year what with the local hospitals maxed out with tourists increasing the A&E wait and bed occupancy.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"