News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'd like to see that survey done of Russians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2021, 04:45:32 PM
Professional snake hunters, like in India do pretty well grabbing them by the tail.

That's vague.  They only have two parts: head and tail.

What kind of dipshit thinks they can fight a elephant?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2021, 05:36:10 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2021, 05:22:29 PM
How quick would the snake's venom work?
It seems it might be possible to technically 'win' there, even if you die afterwards.
Terrain matters too. Is there a handy cliff to throw it off- potentially possible with survival there, or do you need to try and tear it/squash it?

You have teeth, use them.

Indeed. I remember many years ago I read some story that somebody got attacked by a wolf but when the animal jumped on them they bit its leg/paw. The wolf totally did not expect an actual fight and fled the scene after that.

Jacob

I think if you're fighting a snake you'll want to pick it up and dash it against some rocks or a tree or something. Alternately stick its head under water until it drowns. Or maybe stomp on it.

Of course, they're pretty quick so you might not be able to catch itch.

Razgovory

For fighting a snake can you wear heavy gloves?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Looking at the Afghanistan thread I got to thinking of an ongoing problem in strategy game design.
That is the "MORE LAND= MORE POWER" factor which is ahistorical, encourages blobbing, and makes playing minors (and staying small) difficult and not fun.

Rather than provinces having a revolt risk, how about they have a revolt % representing bandits, ongoing insurgencies, etc.... This strikes me as a more realistic representation of most unrest than the rebels sending out a regular army to fight yours.
Generally this revolt % will have a impact on the income you can extract from it, and unless you have troops in the area in neighbouring provinces too (representing both natural spread of unrest and your trade through the badlands being set upon by bandits).
If we're looking at a more modern based game and/or you're playing as a democracy these revolts should cause constant niggling manpower drains which in turn is connected to happiness- less war exhaustion as such, but a negative to the government in elections or whatever you have. Getting very abstract here and talking about something too undefined
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

My brother bought me a 3D printer for my birthday. Spent the entire evening setting it up, and now I started printing stuff for my DND games. This is going to be so much fun.

Josquius

Yesterday I noticed on the BBC news website that Tower Bridge was stuck open.
Just seen on YouTube - Tom Scott uploaded a new video 17 hours ago... He pushed the button :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Question for Spanish speakers (or anyone else who knows), why is Havana "La Habana" in Spanish?  (That is why does it take the definite article, not why is it spelled with a b rather than with a v.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 10, 2021, 03:30:08 AM
My brother bought me a 3D printer for my birthday. Spent the entire evening setting it up, and now I started printing stuff for my DND games. This is going to be so much fun.

Belated(?) happy birthday? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2021, 05:29:13 AM
Yesterday I noticed on the BBC news website that Tower Bridge was stuck open.
Just seen on YouTube - Tom Scott uploaded a new video 17 hours ago... He pushed the button :lol:

His next video is about viral marketing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2021, 04:45:32 PM
Professional snake hunters, like in India do pretty well grabbing them by the tail.

Spending some time thinking about this (no more than 6 or 7 hours), I saw lots of people wrestle alligators as a kid (I'm from Florida) and the alligator never won. Crocodiles aren't alligators but for someone that knows what they are doing, it may not be that difficult.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on August 10, 2021, 09:15:15 AM
Question for Spanish speakers (or anyone else who knows), why is Havana "La Habana" in Spanish?  (That is why does it take the definite article, not why is it spelled with a b rather than with a v.)

Same could be asked for the Ukraine, the Gambia, or the OSU.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

In general, the use of article in the name of a place denotes a common noun that's treated as a proper noun - it probably referred to a local feature (one theory traces it to "savanna") that was used to denote the whole place. However, given that the origin of the name is lost to time (there are many theories) it's difficult to say.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 10, 2021, 10:38:08 AM

Same could be asked for the Ukraine, the Gambia, or the OSU.

'The' was dropped from Ukraine as preferred form in the 90s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.