News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2021, 06:26:53 AM
Yeah, if you like a car focused life then the country is the place, not the city.

I always just paid for a parking spot when I had a car in the city.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

@Tamas, if you had just expressed annoyance I wouldn't have said anything.  But you personalized it.  They shat on you while driving obnoxious cars.

DGuller

It's actually an impressive feat to shit on someone while driving a car.  Unless you're sitting on their lap, of course, that's just cheating.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2021, 11:55:59 AM
So the Brit one was one of my favourite recent polls - and I'm very happy YouGov have now compared with poll for Americans too for comparison :lol:

I'm really intrigued by the ones with huge gaps. I think Americans are far too confident about beating a goose - they can break your arm! :o

I suspect 2% of Brits and 6% of Americans don't know what a grizzly is, or did not read to the end of question to notice they would be unarmed.

PDH

It never said the grizzly bear was alive though.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

It's a bit redundant and more a question of how quickly you die but surely there's less chance against the elephant?
With the grizzly just maybe if it stands still and you punch hard enough you can annoy it. Not happening with the elephant.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2021, 12:35:34 PM
I get the feeling that some people actually think they can beat a chimp.

I was walking down a trail in Uganda 2.5 months ago and an alpha male chimp stepped out of the bushes about 6 feet from my wife (I was right behind her). He assumed an aggressive posture and I would put our chances of fighting him off at 0% even if both of us fought together with maximum efficiency. [the park ranger with us said he got into an aggressive posture just to scare us out of his way]
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2021, 12:16:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2021, 11:55:59 AM
So the Brit one was one of my favourite recent polls - and I'm very happy YouGov have now compared with poll for Americans too for comparison :lol:

I'm really intrigued by the ones with huge gaps. I think Americans are far too confident about beating a goose - they can break your arm! :o

A fight with an animal is a fight to the death. You can survive a broken arm, no goose can survive being crush.

If this is a "who would win a fight to the death" I'd say "yes" to a rat, cat, goose, and medium sized dog. I'd say "inconclusive" on an eagle -- I think I could protect myself but not sure how I could kill him. Not sure the answer on a large dog--maybe I'd have a chance depending on the breed? I'd lose to everything else.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2021, 03:38:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2021, 12:35:34 PM
I get the feeling that some people actually think they can beat a chimp.

I was walking down a trail in Uganda 2.5 months ago and an alpha male chimp stepped out of the bushes about 6 feet from my wife (I was right behind her). He assumed an aggressive posture and I would put our chances of fighting him off at 0% even if both of us fought together with maximum efficiency. [the park ranger with us said he got into an aggressive posture just to scare us out of his way]

Humans together weak.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2021, 03:43:10 PM

If this is a "who would win a fight to the death" I'd say "yes" to a rat, cat, goose, and medium sized dog. I'd say "inconclusive" on an eagle -- I think I could protect myself but not sure how I could kill him. Not sure the answer on a large dog--maybe I'd have a chance depending on the breed? I'd lose to everything else.

Rat, cat, goose, maybe the medium sized dog.
If you get to surprise the animal (say it's asleep), I think I'd have a chance against the cobra and maybe the eagle.
Everything else, not a chance.

alfred russel

The cobra is hard. It isn't hard to kill a snake with a shovel, and I think most bites will be survived. It is probably easier to kill a venomous snake with an instinct to try to stand its ground if you simply don't give a f and take the bite. But I think using something like a shovel will count as "armed" and I'm not sure how to kill a snake with just your bare hands.

You might have an edge with a good pair of bite resistant boots and just walk in stomping away. But snakes don't stay still to get stomped.

Admiral Yi

Professional snake hunters, like in India do pretty well grabbing them by the tail.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2021, 04:45:32 PM
Professional snake hunters, like in India do pretty well grabbing them by the tail.

My grandfather, who wasn't bothered at all by snakes and would pick them up out of trees or off the ground to play with them, assigned me the job of removing them from his back porch as a kid (a once a week job in Florida). Because I am terrified of snakes. "Come over here and get the snake off the porch" he'd say and then go inside to watch through a window, and roll over laughing as I tried to get it to slither off by tentatively poking it with a really long stick.

Josquius

How quick would the snake's venom work?
It seems it might be possible to technically 'win' there, even if you die afterwards.
Terrain matters too. Is there a handy cliff to throw it off- potentially possible with survival there, or do you need to try and tear it/squash it?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2021, 05:22:29 PM
How quick would the snake's venom work?
It seems it might be possible to technically 'win' there, even if you die afterwards.
Terrain matters too. Is there a handy cliff to throw it off- potentially possible with survival there, or do you need to try and tear it/squash it?

You have teeth, use them.