News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2021, 06:10:47 AM
And I am happy to inform Threv that the groceries are rolled out to you in (admittedly, plastic) storage boxes which you empty into your car, and leave the boxes for future re-use. I pack the groceries into (cloth!) bags and my (material unknown) backpack to haul them up the stairs at home.

Why would that make me happy?

Happyish I would be if you told me that you bought all vegan stuff with a focus on seasonal (and not ecological) produce, now that would make some impact on the environment. And that you walked or bicycled to get it.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on August 09, 2021, 06:28:48 AM
And I am happy to inform Threv that the groceries are rolled out to you in (admittedly, plastic) storage boxes which you empty into your car, and leave the boxes for future re-use. I pack the groceries into (cloth!) bags and my (material unknown) backpack to haul them up the stairs at home.

Happyish I would be if you told me that you bought all vegan stuff with a focus on seasonal (and not ecological) produce, now that would make some impact on the environment. And that you walked or bicycled to get it.

So you complain about the plastic bags as the overwhelming environmental impact, and when told to be happy that there were no plastic bags, you decided to avoid happiness and moan about other things?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

If the choices are veganism and global warming, I say let it burn.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2021, 08:22:51 AM
Quote from: Threviel on August 09, 2021, 06:28:48 AM

So you complain about the plastic bags as the overwhelming environmental impact, and when told to be happy that there were no plastic bags, you decided to avoid happiness and moan about other things?

Now I see why he was talking about the bags. I phrased myself badly, I was talking about the bags meaning the contents of the bags, not the bags themselves. We were talking around each other. I was thinking that the environmental effect of the production of the contents of the shopping bags were far greater than any transport.

Sheilbh

So the Brit one was one of my favourite recent polls - and I'm very happy YouGov have now compared with poll for Americans too for comparison :lol:

I'm really intrigued by the ones with huge gaps. I think Americans are far too confident about beating a goose - they can break your arm! :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Maybe we have less experience with actual geese than Britons.

I am not really sure how I would fight an elephant. Would it notice I was kicking and punching it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I wonder if people answering that equated "beating" with "not suffering injuries while doing it". Sure a goose can damage you but ultimately most humans could kill one in a fight.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2021, 11:55:59 AM
So the Brit one was one of my favourite recent polls - and I'm very happy YouGov have now compared with poll for Americans too for comparison :lol:

I'm really intrigued by the ones with huge gaps. I think Americans are far too confident about beating a goose - they can break your arm! :o

A fight with an animal is a fight to the death. You can survive a broken arm, no goose can survive being crush.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2021, 12:15:41 PM
I wonder if people answering that equated "beating" with "not suffering injuries while doing it". Sure a goose can damage you but ultimately most humans could kill one in a fight.
Not if it breaks both your arms :contract:

Even one and I severely doubt I could meaningfully "beat" the goose.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

That's a silly poll...I would answer "yes" to all of them.  :P

(ok, I might concede on the elephant)

The Brain

I get the feeling that some people actually think they can beat a chimp.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Can't I just concede then nobody has to die?
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

It says "beat" not "kill".  Just put the King Cobra in a submission hold.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2021, 12:36:03 PM
Can't I just concede then nobody has to die?

:frog:

-brought to you by 2003 gang
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2021, 12:35:34 PM
I get the feeling that some people actually think they can beat a chimp.

Well, we beat the Neanderthal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?