News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2021, 11:28:56 AM
Focusing on the surname narrows it towards descendants exclusively from the male line too. I can trace my ancestry to families with extremely varied financial situations (but not to any kind of nobility, funny how that works).
:lol: I go back 1-2 generations and it's just Celtic subsistence farmers in single room crofts beng starved by the Brits <_<

Plus one exotic line of Eastern European Jews.

But in part that's less about the point of that study than being first-generation urban. Outside of Florence or Barcelona, I imagine, it all looks a lot more similar unless you're an aristocrat.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 11:11:10 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2021, 08:57:31 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 08:44:11 AM

Thus, the family with surname A was in the shoemaker's guild and was in the 97% income bracket.  This family was a master.
The family with surname Z was also in the shoemaker's guild but in the 55% income bracket.  A journeyman.

If that is in the study, that isn't in the chart. It just identifies both as a member of the same type of guild.

The chart provides the 1427 income levels and wealth levels for each family surname. So the information is there.

As an example, imagine you ran the same exercise in the year 2621 using as the base the income, wealth and employment information of 2021 era surnames and the study gave the following data for 2021:

A ("Bezos")   Amazon.com    99%     99%
. . . .
Z ("Smith") Amazon.com      35%    35%

It would be a mistake to say this data proves the study to be rubbish because the richest and poorest workers both worked at the same company.

Well, the chart is still badly fucked up because it contained about 5 words and I can't be expected to read more than 3 before jumping to a conclusion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2021, 11:35:52 AM
Well, the chart is still badly fucked up because it contained about 5 words and I can't be expected to read more than 3 before jumping to a conclusion.

Fair enough :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2021, 11:35:07 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2021, 11:28:56 AM
Focusing on the surname narrows it towards descendants exclusively from the male line too. I can trace my ancestry to families with extremely varied financial situations (but not to any kind of nobility, funny how that works).
:lol: I go back 1-2 generations and it's just Celtic subsistence farmers in single room crofts beng starved by the Brits <_<

But in part that's less about the point of that study than being first-generation urban. Outside of Florence or Barcelona, I imagine, it all looks a lot more similar unless you're an aristocrat.

In general my mom's side was much wealthier than my dad's side of the family. Lots of burgers later turned industrialists, also many landowners in rural parts of Catalonia. None of that wealth made it to me though  <_<

My dad's family is less mapped out but lots of craftsmen, some subsistence farmers on my grannie's side. They are also less geographically dispersed than my mom's side. We know the jewish family that changed their surname to mine to get around the expulsion lived in the outskirts of Barcelona and worked as tailors.

I presume is the kind of people that wouldn't have married each other until the XXth century.

viper37

Just in case you ever doubted were zombie films&series have got their inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPiUtAde2o
;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Watching the olympics this morning.
It continues to amaze me shooting is in there.
It's fairly known the Olympics is usually a party. All these peak fitness young people from around the world hooking up all over the place.
Then you have the competitors in the shooting. Not even regular, they very much tend towards being fat nerdy looking guys.
So. Movie idea.
Craig Robinson or some other rotund comic stars.
Since its Hollywood some shit happens where his hs girlfriend is a track star but he screws up his youthful fitness. She goes onto great things whilst he becomes a chubby loser.
Then since this is America he gets a chance to shoot some things in comedic fashion. He is a natural. But America doesn't want him. Black guys with guns are bad or something. So he has to represent some micro nation. Maybe he joins the priesthood and represents the vatican.
At the Olympic orgy he beats the jock hurdler in a dance off. He also wins a medal. Probably not gold. That'd be too much. Maybe shoots the president of Burundis hat and solves a crime.
Something. Something.
Love wins.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2021, 11:35:07 AM:lol: I go back 1-2 generations and it's just Celtic subsistence farmers in single room crofts beng starved by the Brits <_<

Yeah my paternal great grandfather was the first one to break out of the subsistence farming racket. He moved to Reykjavík, started a carpentry business, branched out into making coffins in his workshop and was therefore in the right business when the Spanish Flu hit in 1918. He still kept livestock (a milking cow and a few sheep) into the 20's.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 29, 2021, 05:30:38 AM
It's fairly known the Olympics is usually a party. All these peak fitness young people from around the world hooking up all over the place.
Then you have the competitors in the shooting. Not even regular, they very much tend towards being fat needy looking guys.
So. Movie idea.
Since its Hollywood some shit happens where his hs girlfriend is a track star but he screws up his youthful fitness. She goes onto great things whilst he becomes a chubby loser.
Then since this is America he gets a chance to shoot some things in comedic fashion. He is a natural. But America doesn't want him. Black guys with guns are bad or something. So he has to represent some micro nation. Maybe he joins the priesthood and represents the vatican.
At the Olympic orgy he beats the jock hurdler in a dance off. He also wins a medal. Probably not gold. That'd be too much. Maybe shoots the president of Burundis hat and solves a crime.
Something. Something.
Love wins.

Bit early to be on the sauce. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Then you have the competitors in the shooting. Not even regular, they very much tend towards being fat nerdy looking guys.
So. Movie idea.
Something. Something.
Love wins.
:cheers:

Caliga

Hey now  :glare:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also, why is it amazing that shooting is an Olympic event?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Talking about shooting at the Olympics, the 10 m. pistol competition has been won by an Iranian who is a member of the Islamic Republican Guard Corps that was deployed in Syria during the war... :ph34r:

celedhring

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2021, 12:34:17 PM

I don't object to it, but I find it rather odd that it's one of the sports that gives out the largest amount of medals, which doesn't seem commensurate with its popularity as a sport.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 29, 2021, 12:49:40 PM

I don't object to it, but I find it rather odd that it's one of the sports that gives out the largest amount of medals, which doesn't seem commensurate with its popularity as a sport.
I only really like it/watch any of it in modern pentathlon.

On the other hand Britain does quite well in it I think - so keep it :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 29, 2021, 12:49:40 PM

Funnily enough, it's one of the few sports that has a "Mixed" category besides Men and Women categories.