News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Haha. Yes. It very much does look like an industrial waste heap. Cultural appropriation much?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2021, 09:53:51 AM
This study is amazing.

The top earners had names indicating they came from members of shoemakers guilds, which were the elite of that time period.

The very bottom in our modern day came from the rubbish of society in 1427, and are descended from the crap workers of their time: members of shoemakers guilds.

I assume you are aware of the basics of guild structure?

In the 1400s, as today, shoes were a significant fashion accessory and demarcation of status.

A member of the shoemakers guild could be a master in charge of large workshops producing expensive shoes for an elite clientele; they would likely acquire significant official positions as well in city government.  But other members of the guild could be part-time day laborers cobbling together a few cheap shoes for a pittance.

I.e. in modern terms guild membership could encompass the CEO of Versace and some worker on a factory assembly line in Burma getting a few dollars a day.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 08:26:55 AM

I.e. in modern terms guild membership could encompass the CEO of Versace and some worker on a factory assembly line in Burma getting a few dollars a day.

So what you are saying is, having a name related to guild membership doesn't really say much about your family's status in 1427?   :frusty:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2021, 08:31:43 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 08:26:55 AM

So what you are saying is, having a name related to guild membership doesn't really say much about your family's status in 1427?   :frusty:

?  -

The study matches surnames to incomes. For each surname it also discloses the guild they associated with in 1427.

Thus, the family with surname A was in the shoemaker's guild and was in the 97% income bracket.  This family was a master.
The family with surname Z was also in the shoemaker's guild but in the 55% income bracket.  A journeyman.

These are two different families in two different socio-economic positions despite being in the same trade.  It is the difference between someone who today would work in as an experienced production line worker in a shoe factory and someone who owns the factory and a successful brand of shoes.

The better argument would be that family Z was an average earner and thus should not have ended up at the bottom if inequalities endure across time.  That is true but the study isn't claiming that 100% correlation with no exceptions.  Just that taken as a whole across A to Z the effects are statistically significant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 08:44:11 AM

Thus, the family with surname A was in the shoemaker's guild and was in the 97% income bracket.  This family was a master.
The family with surname Z was also in the shoemaker's guild but in the 55% income bracket.  A journeyman.

If that is in the study, that isn't in the chart. It just identifies both as a member of the same type of guild.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Anecdotally it seems obvious that there are family patterns to wealth and earnings that stretch over many generations. It's certainly the case when I look at my own ancestor families.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2021, 09:01:21 AM
Anecdotally it seems obvious that there are family patterns to wealth and earnings that stretch over many generations. It's certainly the case when I look at my own ancestor families.

Sheeplovers all the way back?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on July 28, 2021, 09:05:16 AM

Sheeplovers all the way back?

All the way down.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I am just surprised it survived 600 years with all of the economic cycles in that time, multiple sieges and wars over the city, WW2 etc. I agree with you but thought there would probably be a point at which it was just a wash - except for a few literal aristocrats.

And it may be - as they suggest - that actually it's really fixed and clear until the 20th century and so all of the levelling has been in the last 120 years but I'm not sure.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Julian Assange just had his Ecuadorian citizenship revoke.  Apparently he rides around the embassy on a scooter smearing shit on the walls.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2021, 08:57:31 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 08:44:11 AM

If that is in the study, that isn't in the chart. It just identifies both as a member of the same type of guild.

The chart provides the 1427 income levels and wealth levels for each family surname. So the information is there.

As an example, imagine you ran the same exercise in the year 2621 using as the base the income, wealth and employment information of 2021 era surnames and the study gave the following data for 2021:

A ("Bezos")   Amazon.com    99%     99%
. . . .
Z ("Smith") Amazon.com      35%    35%

It would be a mistake to say this data proves the study to be rubbish because the richest and poorest workers both worked at the same company.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2021, 09:13:10 AM
Yeah - I am just surprised it survived 600 years with all of the economic cycles in that time, multiple sieges and wars over the city, WW2 etc. I agree with you but thought there would probably be a point at which it was just a wash - except for a few literal aristocrats.

And it may be - as they suggest - that actually it's really fixed and clear until the 20th century and so all of the levelling has been in the last 120 years but I'm not sure.

You do have to consider survivorship bias.  The people in the study by definition consist of families that haven't moved in 600 years.  I would guess that would tend to bias the study in favor of entrenched aristocrats and people too poor or demotivated to leave.  Economically fluid and socially mobile families (either direction) are presumably more likely to move away for one reason or another and thus take themselves out of the study.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

They're Italians. They live at home like forever.

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2021, 11:15:54 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2021, 09:13:10 AM

You do have to consider survivorship bias.  The people in the study by definition consist of families that haven't moved in 600 years.  I would guess that would tend to bias the study in favor of entrenched aristocrats and people too poor or demotivated to leave.  Economically fluid and socially mobile families (either direction) are presumably more likely to move away for one reason or another and thus take themselves out of the study.

Focusing on the surname narrows it towards descendants exclusively from the male line too. I can trace my ancestry to families with extremely varied financial situations (but not to any kind of nobility, funny how that works).