News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 25, 2021, 01:53:00 PM
Been waiting all day for my meal kit - and it must have arrived when I was out and some bastard's nicked it :o :ultra: :weep:

Have you considered occasional just shopping instead?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on July 25, 2021, 04:06:41 PMHave you considered occasional just shopping instead?   :P
Yeah - but I just cook the same stuff all the time :blush:

I either cook from my standard repertoire or I do a big special meal from one of my many cookbooks, but that's more rare.

This gets me doing some more interesting stuff and also I find is generally less wasteful in cooking for one than doing a shop.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

I am the opposite.  When cooking for others I fall back on my go to recipes.  But when I only cook for myself, I can go to the local grocer and pick up stuff I have never tried and experiment.

Sheilbh

Not only that but I am not creative at all in the kitchen. I cannot look at a fridge and cupboard full of stuff - the very idea stresses me out.

I've cooking but I need to know what I'm doing either as a recipe at the back of my head or from a cookbook (thought I don't really measure unless I'm baking where it's essential).

So that's another reason I find the meal kit a really useful thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Progress! Working is overrated.

Valmy

Huh. Did Germans have a 10 hour work day back in the day?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I don't think the current global model is sustainable. Per capita wages are dramatically higher in western countries, but places like India work longer hours, and with increases in remote work can be as present in the workforce as anyone, and western educations are available remotely.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

For reference 40 hours/wk times 52 weeks = 2,080 hours a year.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2021, 01:15:15 PM
For reference 40 hours/wk times 52 weeks = 2,080 hours a year.

Minus holidays and average leave (5 weeks) = ~1850 hours

I work more than an average American  :weep:

Admiral Yi

I assume the average includes the unemployed and part time workers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2021, 01:11:48 PM

farm labourers - yeah at least that.  When I was growing up and working as a labourer 10-14 hour days were usual.  I would imagine in the 50s and 60s there were more people employed doing that as well.

What that graph mainly shows is the transition from agricultural work to modern day part time gig work.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2021, 03:58:42 PMfarm labourers - yeah at least that.  When I was growing up and working as a labourer 10-14 hour days were usual.  I would imagine in the 50s and 60s there were more people employed doing that as well.

What that graph mainly shows is the transition from agricultural work to modern day part time gig work.
Yeah, in 1950 agricultre was about 25% of the labour force in Germany compared with 10% in the US and 5% in the UK. That may certainly be part of why Germany was so high at that point.

But their achievement since in reducing work is excellent - if ever there's an argument for unions and sectoral bargaining power/labour power I'd point to that chart. Of course from a UK perspective we are particularly hindered by our comparatively very low productivity (though I think there's some theories that this may actually just be a statistical issue and not as bad as previously thought). The flat-lining since the financial crisis is part of this - it's the poisonous triangle of the British economy since then low productivity, more hours, same or less pay <_< :bleeding:

I also wonder how much short working plays a role - the big falls in the UK seem to be rises in unemployment in the early 80s and early 90s recessions. It'd be interesting to see it rolled forward because we've implemented short working schemes during covid and they're generally seen as a success - I don't know if they'll become a permanent part of our economy, but possibly.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2021, 01:11:48 PM

My old man was stationed in Germany in 47-50 and one of his abiding memorises was the work ethic of the Germans as they went about rebuilding their country. He admired them for it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I was going to make a joke about Germans working their day job for 8 hours then clearing rubble for 2 more, but mongers beat me to it.

Josquius

I'm sure there's some kind of holocausty slave labour joke to be made too if you're so inclined.

We have to stop measuring hours worked as such a key thing.
██████
██████
██████