News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Ah remote working.
Today a meeting was interrupted when mid talk a guy said "excuse me a minute, somebody is getting robbed outside my house"
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Wut? :blink:
QuoteCovid: UK town crier championships to be held in silence
By Ben Moore
BBC South

image captionThe British Championships usually take place in public in a host town with up to 100 criers taking part

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56766202
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHn_lLbnm8c

I have no feel for Centigrade, and the actual conversion formula is just to much to run every time Beeb says "it's a balmy -15C today!"

So handy approximation formula.

2 times Centigrade + 30 ~Farenheit.

(Farenheit -30) / 2 ~ Centigrade.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2021, 06:03:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHn_lLbnm8c

I have no feel for Centigrade, and the actual conversion formula is just to much to run every time Beeb says "it's a balmy -15C today!"

So handy approximation formula.

2 times Centigrade + 30 ~Farenheit.

(Farenheit -30) / 2 ~ Centigrade.

:huh:  I'm shocked that you are just now finding this out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

What's shocking is people still using Fahrenheit. Barbaric.

The Brain

As long as people don't bring in wind chill I'm happy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Humidity is the true killer. Amplifies British temperatures both ways quite dramatically.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2021, 06:29:49 AM
Humidity is the true killer. Amplifies British temperatures both ways quite dramatically.
"It's not the heat I object to, so much as the humidity." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 06:33:03 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2021, 06:29:49 AM
"It's not the heat I object to, so much as the humidity." :lol:

While I broadly agree, I don't think I could see any Brits regularly handling this:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Palm+Springs+CA?canonicalCityId=2b7dcde5ee26ebcfc29ebbc1da52d74cf9b763202f8b97421f273cc344b5ba46
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I mean it's warm for April - my ideal temperature is around the high 20s/30s with a sea breeze and most of my life is dedicated to finding that location and retiring there ASAP.

But I don't know that I've ever actually experienced dry heat. People talk about it but I've no idea what it's like I don't think :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Greece can be surprisingly ok even when the temperature is in the high 30s, wear a hat of course. It is a combination of low humidity, evening breezes off the sea and the built-up environment that takes heat seriously. London gets to be pretty horrible at much lower temperatures.

Josquius

I just don't get it.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2021, 06:23:15 AM
What's shocking is people still using Fahrenheit. Barbaric.

The real barbarians are those who use "stones" as a measurement of peoples' weight, and those who use "beets" as a term for currency.

Compared to them, Fahrenheit is just a lower rung on the ladder to European Smug Ball of Light status.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!