News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards.

I made myself a t-shirt with that quote. I fucking love it.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards.

Noel Coward?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2021, 01:35:47 PM
Surely it's Doctor of Storytelling. :nerd:

Not if it's Master Storyteller.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 01, 2021, 02:37:35 PM

Apprentice, journeyman, and master are skilled labor grades.  There was no doctor of bricklaying.  Once we get to doctor we've moved from guild labor to academia.  Master is an overlap.

Josquius

They really ought to bring those titles back. Give some proper style and equivalence to academia to trades.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2021, 02:45:32 PM
They really ought to bring those titles back. Give some proper style and equivalence to academia to trades.
They're still there - my dad trained eventually as a master carpenter after he left the merchant navy. You still get master carpenters, cabinetmakers, joiners etc.

And the other trades are joining - there's now master plumbers and master electricians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2021, 02:43:37 PM
Apprentice, journeyman, and master are skilled labor grades.  There was no doctor of bricklaying.  Once we get to doctor we've moved from guild labor to academia.  Master is an overlap.
But not all doctors - surgeons were a guild, which is why they're still called "Mr" or "Miss" even though they have to become doctors first :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 02:50:54 PM
But not all doctors - surgeons were a guild, which is why they're still called "Mr" or "Miss" even though they have to become doctors first :lol:

How dare you nitpick my nitpick.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 02:49:12 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2021, 02:45:32 PM
They're still there - my dad trained eventually as a master carpenter after he left the merchant navy. You still get master carpenters, cabinetmakers, joiners etc.

And the other trades are joining - there's now master plumbers and master electricians.
I'll have to check with my dad. I know he has a bunch of tickets and qualifications but I'm not familiar with him officially being a master.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 02:50:54 PM

Another thing to add in with all the wrong names Brits use.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2021, 02:43:37 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 01, 2021, 02:37:35 PM

A joke that is explained is always a thousand times better.  :P

(Were you really explaining to me the difference between medieval guild and academia?)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2021, 08:21:56 AM
Also, stupid question. Who makes those maps? How do you research the shoe-removal traiditions of each European and North African nation?  :lol:

With government money
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011