News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My impression is they're saner than, say, British greens just by recognizing the importance of growth, business, employment, etc., aren't they also the repository of most German Nimbyism?

crazy canuck

It is funny how the Libertards characterize as insane, the ones who are worried about the planet becoming hostile to human survival

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2021, 11:18:51 AM
I like the idea of a green victory.
German greens are sane right?
I think they're the sanest/most pragmatic/comfortable with holding power Green party in the world (generally) - I love the German Greens :lol:

Purely from a foreign policy perspective I think they are by some distance the most admirable/impressive Germany party (though there are still issues).

And it'd be great if they won because energy transition is going to be challenging for Europe, so it'd be great to have a leading country focused on that. Especially after the Commission's draft document thinking around ESG regulations in Europe which considers gas "clean energy" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2021, 11:09:53 AM
Chances of a traffic light coalition or are the FDP too far away for that?
There is currently a traffic light coalition in Rhineland-Palatinate and one under consideration after the recent election in Baden-Württemberg. Also Schleswig-Holstein has a "Jamaica" coalition where Greens and Liberals are the junior partner of Conservatives.

mongers

Any Americans here ever used cabbage, supposedly slang for money /notes? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2021, 11:18:51 AM
I like the idea of a green victory.
German greens are sane right?
They are sane and fairly centrist in many topics. Their voters are better educated and earn more than average and are tilting heavily urban.  A bit authoritarian as they like to prohibit things they dislike. Socially progressive (sex/gender questions, cannabis), luddite when it comes to many technologies (nuclear, GMO), pretty mainstream in economics, want to make more debt again for green investments.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2021, 11:44:01 AM
Any Americans here ever used cabbage, supposedly slang for money /notes? :unsure:

Nope

Might possibly have heard lettuce used that way.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2021, 11:29:59 AM
My impression is they're saner than, say, British greens just by recognizing the importance of growth, business, employment, etc., aren't they also the repository of most German Nimbyism?
They have their fair share of NIMBYism, probably a bit more than in other parties. Where they rule, they build infrastructure though. The state Baden-Württemberg had a Green state premier for ten years now, but is home to Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and the biggest German infrastructure project (Stuttgart 21). The state also owns and operates one of the last German nuclear power plants. So pragmatism is definitely there.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2021, 11:49:38 AM

Nope

Anyone heard anything from him?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2021, 11:37:18 AM
Purely from a foreign policy perspective I think they are by some distance the most admirable/impressive Germany party (though there are still issues).

And it'd be great if they won because energy transition is going to be challenging for Europe, so it'd be great to have a leading country focused on that. Especially after the Commission's draft document thinking around ESG regulations in Europe which considers gas "clean energy" :lol:
One thing they want to do is stop the Nordstream 2 pipeline. That might be a hard sell in any possible coalition though.

mongers

Nope

I found it in the chambers dictionary and thought it might be a bit suspect.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2021, 11:51:57 AM

Nope

Anyone heard anything from him?

Procreator Forum Drift Syndrome (PFDS).

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2021, 12:27:58 PM

Nope

I found it in the chambers dictionary and thought it might be a bit suspect.

I recognize it as slang for money, but I don't know that I've ever heard it used that way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

There's a small lock on a canal near where I live, that isn't used much. The city has installed an underwater camera, so people at home can see if there are any fish hanging around. They can then send a signal and the lock will be opened to let the fish pass. Apparently this is not an April Fools joke.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2021, 11:31:37 AM
It is funny how the Libertards characterize as insane, the ones who are worried about the planet becoming hostile to human survival

Because going back to fossil fuels in a big way is a great way to do that? I don't have an issue with going away from Nuclear but they needed a green alternative not just more fossil fuels.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."