News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

:lol: Fuck no, I'm not that smart. I'm just an analyst.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2021, 10:34:15 AM
My workplace called that Accumulated time. It's a nice way to avoid paying Overtime.

I currently have 22.5 hours of it. I had more but I took spring break off using that.

Some of my co-workers have hundreds of hours accumulated.

My previous employer had Accumulated time, it was awesome.
I was racking up the overtime during a very busy period, and after a while I could take a day off every week for almost an entire year.
Fortunately I found a new job at that point, I was dreading having to go back to full time employment.

Josquius

Any one else with an android suddenly stopped working?
Caused quite a panic with me as couldn't access some important apps. Seemed by phone was borked.
But no. Just needed to uninstall all updates on something called Web view. Google has caused a disaster

██████
██████
██████

Syt

This image of Vice Chancellor Kogler (Greens) and Chancellor Kurz (Conservatives) was used this weekend to illustrate the state of the coalition. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2021, 11:01:12 PM
Any one else with an android suddenly stopped working?
Caused quite a panic with me as couldn't access some important apps. Seemed by phone was borked.
But no. Just needed to uninstall all updates on something called Web view. Google has caused a disaster

Yeah, I had ton of issues last night with my tablet, most apps wouldn't work at all, they'd crash to desktop as soon as they got started. This morning after updating everything it seems to be working fine now.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2021, 02:51:05 AM
This image of Vice Chancellor Kogler (Greens) and Chancellor Kurz (Conservatives) was used this weekend to illustrate the state of the coalition. :D

Kurz looks like he is pissing on the flag.

Legbiter

Here the eruption is ongoing but it's very small and contained in a valley. The earthquakes have completely died down since the magma intrusion has found an outlet. At it's current rate the volcano can spend weeks filling up the various small valleys surrounding it, so there's no imminent danger to people or infrastructure. The only danger is to curious onlookers wanting to observe the volcano, volcanic gasses are fairly strong around the lava field and the heavier ones can settle into dells and dips in the landscape so best to observe it upwind from a hill.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Yeah it is. The pictures don't quite capture what it's like to see an eruption up close and personal, especially the low vibrations you feel under your feet. You become very small in the grand scheme of things. I'll hike there next weekend if it's still ongoing, weather permitting.

The Larch

That must feel absolutely otherwordly. I've only been once close to an active volcano (the Etna, on a peaceful period) and the area affected by it just feels like a completely different planet at times. The vapours coming from the ground in places, the weird rock formations, the visible effects of past eruptions... to be present during such an active episode must be quite spectacular.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2021, 07:00:48 AM
That must feel absolutely otherwordly. I've only been once close to an active volcano (the Etna, on a peaceful period) and the area affected by it just feels like a completely different planet at times. The vapours coming from the ground in places, the weird rock formations, the visible effects of past eruptions... to be present during such an active episode must be quite spectacular.

Yeah exactly.

I saw up close the "small" eruption that immediately preceded the big Eyjafjallajökull one 2010. Hekla in 2000 I was in the summer cottage walking the road after dark when the bright red glow suddenly appeared in the distance. Saw the aftermath of the enormous 2014 Holuhraun eruption with my boys and grandfather, the whole black lava field was still steaming almost a year later.

Sheilbh

Things that sound really exciting and interesting but - even in a simplified newspaper form are way above my head :lol:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/23/large-hadron-collider-scientists-particle-physics
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Legbiter on March 23, 2021, 06:38:42 AM

Mordor!

Or, at least, that was probably the first reaction in my head from this image.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

heh

Your post made me think Obi Wan and Darth Vader.