And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2021, 10:08:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2021, 09:28:06 AM
In my work, the last few weeks of December are the time when most people "burn off" their PTO, so it makes sense that unlimited PTO works the way it does.  I think the problem is two-fold:  Americans don't really take long vacations (anything over a week is a real stretch), and Americans don't take days off just to get away from work for a couple of days.

Hard to take long periods off when you aren't given the time.
If you aren't given enough time, you don't have PTOs to burn off in December.  In the workplace environment I'm familiar with, that has usually been the case that a large portion of people don't space our their PTOs over the year, take long vacations, or take multiple vacations, so they're out in late December.  I don't think it's the fear either, it's probably just inertia.  There is also a self-imposed stigma against taking mental health days, which is just counterproductive.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2021, 10:08:06 AM
I hate random days off. Ends up just adding a lot of pressure before you are off / as just a day, co-workers aren't always so diligent in covering for you. Once you hit at least a week off, they realize they can't just wait until your return. -_- :D

We have a system of Earned Days Off (EDO).  Because we're salaried and don't get overtime or the like, we're allowed to take one day off per month.  We're supposed to justify it by showing the extra time we've worked to earn it, but nobody every really even asks.

But that being said - you can not schedule your EDO in advance - you have to work it in around your existing court commitments (which are 3-4 days of the week).  So that, plus the need to actually get all your office work done to get ready for those court commitments means I take MAYBE 1 EDO per year.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I know that exists here time off in lieu (TOIL) but I've never actually earned any or know how you really go about earning it even though I have worked extra. Genuinely no idea how it works - I think it may be a bigger deal for banking or corporate lawyers or litigators who by definition tend to have quite lumpy work.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2021, 10:23:33 AM
I know that exists here time off in lieu (TOIL) but I've never actually earned any or know how you really go about earning it even though I have worked extra. Genuinely no idea how it works - I think it may be a bigger deal for banking or corporate lawyers or litigators who by definition tend to have quite lumpy work.
That acronym sure is designed to make it sound like an attractive option.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2021, 10:28:46 AM

Sounds like a justification to me... I TOILed so hard I'm getting a bit of time off.

Grey Fox

My workplace called that Accumulated time. It's a nice way to avoid paying Overtime.

I currently have 22.5 hours of it. I had more but I took spring break off using that.

Some of my co-workers have hundreds of hours accumulated.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2021, 10:28:46 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2021, 10:23:33 AM
HR humour :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

In the place where I spent the most time as a salaried employee, a system was in place that made it mandatory to take at least half of your yearly vacation time during the summer, when activity was much lower. I always took the opportunity to push it as late as possible in order to have my vacation in september or even early october, as working during the summer itself was a breeze.

Sheilbh

I've always thought the only perk of working for a bank (I think only investment banks) is the enforced compliance leave. At least in the UK you have to take two consecutive weeks off - zero contact with work, hand in your devices etc. Theory is that any dodgy trades or positions etc will come to light in that time.

Sounds like the dream tho.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 22, 2021, 11:20:57 AM
In the place where I spent the most time as a salaried employee, a system was in place that made it mandatory to take at least half of your yearly vacation time during the summer, when activity was much lower. I always took the opportunity to push it as late as possible in order to have my vacation in september or even early october, as working during the summer itself was a breeze.

At my old job they didn't close over Christmas.  If I was in town I would never take those days off because they were such easy days to work.  And pre-kids I always liked taking holidays in May or September because prices were cheaper and less busy.

Alas with kids now I have to take holidays at the same times as everyone else.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I normally work about as much as I can over Christmas because most years it is very quiet so I'm not taking holidays for it, but I'm not really doing much in the office except catching up with everyone at work and going to the pub for an after work drink at 5 on the dot.

But on some years it can be suddenly busy because there's no-one else in the office and you have to do everything. I particularly remember this when I was a corporate trainee and annoyingly working on deals with Chinese and Russian clients who did not care at all about English Christmas :lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2021, 11:23:02 AM
I've always thought the only perk of working for a bank (I think only investment banks) is the enforced compliance leave. At least in the UK you have to take two consecutive weeks off - zero contact with work, hand in your devices etc. Theory is that any dodgy trades or positions etc will come to light in that time.

One week (that is, 5 consecutive business days not counting holidays or weekends) here. It's pretty nice.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Seppukku is an I banker?  Never woulda guessed.  :huh:

Habbaku

Not an investment banker, but a far more boring (IE, 40 hours a week and no more) adjacent role.  :sleep:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi