And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 21, 2021, 07:53:50 AM
They're important community hubs.

More importantly developers shouldn't be able to get around negative planning decisions in that way - especially when the building's just about to be listed.

I don't think a community should build hubs around alcohol.

And pre-covid, were any of you actually forming bonds in your community at pubs? How many new friends did you make?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2021, 08:43:46 AM
Quite right Tyr, the taxes can be used to make the cost of a drink the same in a pub as it would be from a supermarket.

In addition young people should be allowed in to drink in pubs subject to not irritating the senior clientele  :cool:
Agreed. And I'd add that there's also a need to preserve gay bars/queer venues which are particularly vulnerable to being shut down, knocked down and turned into identikit flats because they're mainly in urban areas.

I think there are plans for a fund to allow communities to buy their local pub which is a good idea.

And yeah when I was young there were a couple of pubs that basically did tolerate us under-agers. One was split into saloon v public bar so the youngsters would have one - and I normally ended up there on my birthdays and the landlady would always ask "eighteen again, S?" :lol:

Far more healthy than house or park drinking.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I remember when I was in Amsterdam, one night I went with a local friend to his home town for a concert. After the show we went to this place that he said was a youth centre... Though it was really some kind of awesome very cheap pub where everyone was very young. Really can't remember much about it but there was some kind of subsidising going on.

At uni too the nations are given a tax exemption so their pubs sell alcohol at sane non Scandinavian prices. I wonder whether that was done for big picture reasons...

And yeah. I miss gadgie pubs that would serve under age people.
The UK should really be following the Continent and reducing the drinking age for beer and wine.

QuoteTyr aren't you too young for "there's change to how things used to be, the state should spend money on keeping things the same!" talk? :P
Who said ought about keeping things the same?
Its about nudging the unstoppable flow of change in the right direction.
It's fundamental to being human :don't just kick back and let things happen. Make the world the way you want it to be.

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2021, 09:25:14 AM

More importantly developers shouldn't be able to get around negative planning decisions in that way - especially when the building's just about to be listed.

And pre-covid, were any of you actually forming bonds in your community at pubs? How many new friends did you make?
I met my partner in a pub.
Several of my friends too.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

To be fair it can be a cultural thing. Alcohol and heavy drinking seem deeply seeped into the culture here.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2021, 09:28:47 AM

To be fair it can be a cultural thing. Alcohol and heavy drinking seem deeply seeped into the culture here.

Sure but that doesn't mean it shouldnt/couldn't change over time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

The lava pool is trapped in a small valley that contains it and sort of acts as a reservoir. At this rate it can spend the next couple of weeks filling it up before it can flow anywhere.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Richard Hakluyt

I looked it up and Hungary and the UK consumed exactly the same amount per capita  :cool:
Admittedly the USA consumed about 15% less per head.
Perhaps more importantly, when there were more pubs in the UK alcohol consumption was lower, drinking at home was deemed to be on the slippery slope by many.

Richard Hakluyt

Also, really cool pics Legbiter  :cool:

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2021, 12:38:52 PM

I looked it up and Hungary and the UK consumed exactly the same amount per capita  :cool:
Admittedly the USA consumed about 15% less per head.
Perhaps more importantly, when there were more pubs in the UK alcohol consumption was lower, drinking at home was deemed to be on the slippery slope by many.

I am not necessarily saying consumption, but in public discourse the acceptance of getting wasted and such. My usual example is the morning TV show uproar over possible ban of alcohol at airports some years ago - I would never, ever see ITV-sized anchors discuss things like "you can't fly sober".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2021, 12:48:41 PM
I am not necessarily saying consumption, but in public discourse the acceptance of getting wasted and such. My usual example is the morning TV show uproar over possible ban of alcohol at airports some years ago - I would never, ever see ITV-sized anchors discuss things like "you can't fly sober".
That ban would be horrible. It's lovely to grab a quick pre-flight drink - especially if you have a morning flight because there's nothing that quite signifies "I'm on holiday" like it :blush:

Especially if you're flying Easyjet or Ryanair and a G&T on the flight costs £17 :weep:

I went on holiday to Istanbul for my birthday a few years ago. My birthday's in January, there'd been a terrorist attack in Ankara a couple of week's before and it was a morning flight on BA - so the flight was weirdly deserted. It was basically about 20 people and no-one in first class so the cabin crew were just rolling out with free drinks for us. It was great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Legbiter on March 21, 2021, 10:08:10 AM

The lava pool is trapped in a small valley that contains it and sort of acts as a reservoir. At this rate it can spend the next couple of weeks filling it up before it can flow anywhere.

Wow, that looks really cool.

Sheilbh

The Daily Mail - seriously - reviewing a book on Dostoyevsky and his relationships :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 20, 2021, 09:55:50 PM
What would you say is a reasonable narrative re: Napoleon and Haiti, and especially his intentions towards the population there?

(Note - the sum of my knowledge on the topic is what's been posted in this thread so far)

Napoleon, anxious to establish his bona fides with the French middle class, sends troops to restore French control of Haiti (the wealthiest colony in the world).  His commander there, General LeClerc, arranges for peace based on no re-imposition of slavery, and the admission of the rebel troops into the French Army (and it's pay).  It's not clear how sincere LeClerc was.  His successor, Rochambeau, was a brute who felt that his mission was to conquer the island by any means necessary, including mass murder.  Napoleon's Law of 1802 allowed the re-imposition of slavery, but didn't declare it's re-imposition.  Napoleon never re-imposed slavery in Haiti, though he may well have been planning it.  The law gave him complete flexibility, which matched his own moral flexibility.

Napoleon's view of slavery was entirely pragmatic.  He deplored it when it was in France's interest to deplore it (including in Haiti), and supported it when it was in  France's interest to support it (in Mauritius and Réunion, which had never abolished it).  Slavery was only re-imposed on Guadeloupe and in Guyana.  Ditto his stand on the Haitian black leadership: he supported it when that leadership supported French interests, and suppressed it when it didn't.  At the very least, one can condemn Napoleon for being indifferent to the suffering his policies provoked (the same can be said for Spain, for that matter).

I'd note that the British may well have suffered more losses trying to re-impose slavery on Haiti than the French did. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!