News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2021, 08:30:56 PM
I just saw the weirdest sight out of my window.  I just saw a series of red lights fly over the Hudson, pretty low, with some engine noise.  They were spaced out quite a bit, so it wasn't just a single plane that for whatever reason had 4-5 red lights as opposed to a red and a green.  Should I be cutting back on LSD, or did I see something real?  If so, what could it possibly be?  :huh:

Couple of nights ago I also saw something flying with strong red-only lights. Felt like it was going fairly low judging by the strength of the light. Maybe military helicopter? I didn't hear anything though.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2021, 02:38:24 PM
I really like the way the NYT is just picking fights with every European country on a one by one basis right now :lol:
QuoteMarlene Daut
@FictionsofHaiti
If Napoleon Bonaparte—a racist, genocidal, warmonger who restored slavery— is a symbol of modern France, then what does that say about France?

My latest @nytimes
https://t.co/RTeBzGNPAJ?amp=1

Not much? Macron and his clique do their best to avoid commemorating the 200th anniversary of his death.

Napoleon is obviously more complex than that. He also ended slavery during the Cent-Jours. As for genocidal, Valmy dealt with it.

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 20, 2021, 02:43:35 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2021, 06:16:13 PM

Small and remote. Just perfect.

Like a pressure release valve, a good outcome  :cool:

Yeah, this is more of a bonsai eruption now that it's daylight. An absolutely massive magma intrusion pops up and in 3 weeks brutally grinds it's way across the peninsula triggering these quakes and it ends with the volcanic equivalent of a fart.

That's an eruption that's already given up on life.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2021, 10:08:00 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ersOzJQOrUs

Just for reference :P

:thumbsup:

Jackson Crawford with solid Old Norse breaking news. His new Old Norse/Old English conversation between 2 speakers was fun as well.

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on March 20, 2021, 07:07:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2021, 10:08:00 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ersOzJQOrUs

Just for reference :P

:thumbsup:

Jackson Crawford with solid Old Norse breaking news. His new Old Norse/Old English conversation between 2 speakers was fun as well.
Yak. Huh. I was sure it'd be Fyell, kind of related to fell.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Yeah fjall in Old Norse/Icelandic means mountain and is cognate with fell in the Northern English dialects meaning hill I think. :hmm:

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2021, 02:27:51 AMOk you can't drop a bomb like that on me without some more information. That was the plan?

I bloody well will do that when I post at 1 AM.

QuoteI mean the plan, as I currently understand it, was completely insane and out of touch with reality, which is what happens when you get all your colonial information from the Grand Blancs, I thought the idea was to swoop in and arrest all the leaders and deport them and then quickly and easily reimpose slavery. And even that plan was secret, the expedition was designed to appear both overwhelming but friendly to trick Toussaint L'Ouverture and company into giving themselves up. Was there a secret secret plan?

Yes, that was the plan Napoleon was hoping for. Which, we should note, involved more gruesome violence than he was prepared to dish out against Europeans. So, yes - initial plan: befriend Black generals, arrest Toussaint, disarm the population, eliminate black soldiers, terrorize the population and reenslave them. In October 1802, Leclerc is already taking steps to actually kill his own troops, kept in ships and using sulphur. Rochambeau would then use the same method against the civilian population of Cap-Français.

It soon became obvious that Saint-Domingue would not be Guadeloupe. The Haitian war of Independance was astonishingly brutal, which certainly hints at what form of ordinary violence slavery was. Now, if you are looking for a letter from Napoleon that says "please conduct genocide on the black population", you will not find it. Heck, it's difficult to find even in so blatant a genocidal regime as Nazi Germany. What you do find are widespread episodes of massacre aimed at black soldiers and civilians. And, at the very least, a few officers - both French and foreign - mentionned that killing everyone and begining anew was what needed to be done, and what was being done.

Is this the same thing as the sort of revolutionary violence deployed against certain metropolitan populations during the Vendée Wars? To some extent, yes - it carries the same ideals of wiping the slate clear from population too intimately contaminated by royalism and starting anew. Race, however, plays a much more important role in informing that violence in Haiti. Is that enough to call it a genocide while the Vendée Wars remain a mere "civil war"? I think it's an important enough factor to take into account. In my own courses, I use "genocidal intentions" - enough to carry the force of the intent, but with just a hint of contextual reminder about the time period.

Was this a big Master Plan? No. But do we require a Big Master Plan when such a thing is unlikely to even exist on paper. After all, a lot of Napoleon's Master Plans are reconstructed after the fact, from actions - including by Napoleon himself. The problem with Napoleon, is that his supporters today want to attribute personally to him all the evidently collective stuff that they like (Civil Code), but suddenly want to parse every single coma whenever stuff like the Haitian War of Independence shows up. They are willing to spend insane amount of times defending Napoleon, but rarely any effort in understanding at least colonial matters. I understand people like Daut wanting to bring him down a peg or two.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Lovely, wonderful piece by Fuchsia Dunlop (:wub:) on the British-Chinese takeaway:
https://www.ft.com/content/d94c22f6-90e2-4bda-b5a0-5f89e565b1c3
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2021, 04:17:38 PM
Pay walled 😔

Where did you get you screen name Tyr?

It wasn't from the D & D city, as I've just noticed it in an old game I've started playing. 'The Wake of the Ravager' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2021, 04:32:02 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2021, 04:17:38 PM
Pay walled 😔

Where did you get you screen name Tyr?

It wasn't from the D & D city, as I've just noticed it in an old game I've started playing. 'The Wake of the Ravager' ?

I always thought from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BDr
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yeah, pretty random dual origin of forgotten realms and norse gods.
Changed on a whim when the forum was new and we could change our display names at will. Stuck in place when that option was turned off.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2021, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2021, 02:38:24 PM
I really like the way the NYT is just picking fights with every European country on a one by one basis right now :lol:
QuoteMarlene Daut
@FictionsofHaiti
If Napoleon Bonaparte—a racist, genocidal, warmonger who restored slavery— is a symbol of modern France, then what does that say about France?

My latest @nytimes
https://t.co/RTeBzGNPAJ?amp=1

Some fights are worth having.  :bowler:

Especially those, like this one, that is based on ignorance.  :smarty:

Napoleon declared war once; against Russia in 1812.  All the other wars he fought started as defensive wars (Spain being defensive in the sense that the rebels attacked his forces rather than vice-versa, but he was effectively the author of the rebellion, so he can't really argue that he was just acting in defense).  The charge of racism seems unfounded given that the commander of his cavalry in his early campaigns was black (Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, father of the author Alexandre Dumas).  Genocidal is just absurd.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2021, 08:12:37 PM
Especially those, like this one, that is based on ignorance.  :smarty:

Napoleon declared war once; against Russia in 1812.  All the other wars he fought started as defensive wars (Spain being defensive in the sense that the rebels attacked his forces rather than vice-versa, but he was effectively the author of the rebellion, so he can't really argue that he was just acting in defense).  The charge of racism seems unfounded given that the commander of his cavalry in his early campaigns was black (Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, father of the author Alexandre Dumas).  Genocidal is just absurd.

What would you say is a reasonable narrative re: Napoleon and Haiti, and especially his intentions towards the population there?

(Note - the sum of my knowledge on the topic is what's been posted in this thread so far)

Josquius

The census seems a lot shorter than usual this year 🤔
██████
██████
██████