News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Maybe if you're wearing very dark sunglasses.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2021, 04:03:03 AM
You don't think she could pass for a totally white person very easily?

She's as black as that actress in Queen's Gambit is a Latina.

Better question would Harry, or Dick, or whatever her husband's name is, have married her if she looked really black?

Their point about the baby's colour is valid. There's no doubt the Firm would be horrified if they had a black baby-- as would most of Britain, I reckon.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Iormlund

Quote from: Josephus on March 13, 2021, 07:33:41 AM

I thought Latino was a cultural term in America.

Josephus

Quote from: Iormlund on March 13, 2021, 07:45:10 AM

I thought Latino was a cultural term in America.

It probably is. But I'm just carrying over from a discussion we had about her being the "first Latina" to win an Emmy discussion we had a few days ago.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2021, 04:03:03 AM
You don't think she could pass for a totally white person very easily?

Better question would Harry, or Dick, or whatever her husband's name is, have married her if she looked really black?

Their point about the baby's colour is valid. There's no doubt the Firm would be horrified if they had a black baby-- as would most of Britain, I reckon.
Yes. It would have been if there was a concern it could look black. Given Harry is the whitest guy alive and Megan also looks a regular European that doesn't seem such a big concern.
It's true genes can remain hidden for years then randomly pop up with eg couples who had no idea they had any black heritage suddenly popping out a kid who looks African. But I don't know. I don't think they were thinking smart with the comment.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2021, 09:20:29 PM
I think he'll make it.

I think he is toast.

The two NY senators (Schumer and Gillibrand) have put out a joint statement for him to resign. I don't think senior politicians from the same state would have done this if they weren't aiming to kill and assessed he is cooked.

The counterpoint is Governor Northam who rode out the blackface scandal in Virginia, but I don't think that is really the same because high school pictures of blackface aren't impeachable. The NY State legislature is poised to impeach Cuomo, and that takes us into a political process where he has few allies and there are so many allegations it seems unlikely he can disprove everything.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Oh well.  Live by the sword, die by the sword.

alfred russel

An actual impeachment trial would be wild though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Can you remind me what his second big fuckup was?  After the nursing home thing.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2021, 10:25:54 AM
Can you remind me what his second big fuckup was?  After the nursing home thing.

He has an avalanche of sexual harassment allegations coming in.

alfred russel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cuomo_sexual_harassment_allegations

On the pro Cuomo side: none of the allegations described in the wiki article seem individually worthy of removal from office, aside from one anonymous one (which would also be difficult to prove).

On the anti Cuomo side: while calling for resignation is not the same as voting to remove from office, if the wikipedia listing is correct, exactly 2/3 of the NY State Senate has called for Cuomo to resign.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2021, 10:25:54 AM
Six allegations of sexual harassment - which all sound fairly credible from what I can gather, especially cumulatively.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I thought he should have resigned after his errors caused the deaths of thousands in nursing homes. But I guess being a creep works. He is a disgrace to America and the Democratic Party, I want him gone. But he has a famous dad, so we'll see what happens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Early on in the pandemic I remember seeing people on CNN and MSNBC discussing how absolutely presidential Cuomo looked in his COVID response. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 13, 2021, 02:50:25 PM
Early on in the pandemic I remember seeing people on CNN and MSNBC discussing how absolutely presidential Cuomo looked in his COVID response. :hmm:
I've always been extremely confused by this given how bad things were in New York.

I understand having a lot of sympathy for politicians when they're just overwhelmed like New York was. But I don't get the presidential chat or the book deal etc. Especially when other nearby politicians managed to respond much more effectively (if with less regular press conferences in states where lots of media folks live).
Let's bomb Russia!