And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 09:00:56 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2021, 08:57:28 AM
A number of them are quite badly phrased. Part I question 5 is impossible to get wrong, as long as you mention a number.
I mean that's a standard humanities approach though - they're impossible to get wrong the test is whether you can construct a coherent, credible argument and make it well :ph34r:

That particular question doesn't specify exposition or argumentation, though. Just pick a century.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2021, 09:35:25 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 09:00:56 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2021, 08:57:28 AM
A number of them are quite badly phrased. Part I question 5 is impossible to get wrong, as long as you mention a number.
I mean that's a standard humanities approach though - they're impossible to get wrong the test is whether you can construct a coherent, credible argument and make it well :ph34r:

That particular question doesn't specify exposition or argumentation, though. Just pick a century.

You are not going to get into Eton thinking like that  :P

You need to pick a century and deploy the reasons for doing so in an informative and entertaining manner.

Sheilbh

:lol: True.

At least the quality of an Eton education is unchanging through the years :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2021, 09:40:16 AM

Oh good, that's a relief :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2021, 09:40:16 AM

You need to pick a century and deploy the reasons for doing so in an informative and entertaining manner.
:lol: Exactly. I actually think the smart approach would be to choose a counter-intuitive response because they'll receive lots of earnest ones. So argue for dismantling the British empire but lightly and without getting weighed down by too much gravity.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I am still stuck at the shock of Brits not taught how to speak and write their own language. No wonder you have different accents after every second street corner.

Just checked but it seems still nowadays, Hungarian highschoolers (4 years) have a 100-odd page Hungarian grammar study book and a similarly sized practice book in each year. And of course you study it in elementary school as well.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 09:41:36 AM
:lol: True.

At least the quality of an Eton education is unchanging through the years :P

They even get to study grammar as well, or so I heard.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2021, 10:12:25 AM
I am still stuck at the shock of Brits not taught how to speak and write their own language. No wonder you have different accents after every second street corner.

Just checked but it seems still nowadays, Hungarian highschoolers (4 years) have a 100-odd page Hungarian grammar study book and a similarly sized practice book in each year. And of course you study it in elementary school as well.
:lol:

I think it's a generational thing. Tyr and I were both educated in the 90s/early 00s and we didn't do grammar (and thinking about it we were probably the first kids to go through the national curriculum?). I think before then schools did teach it - especially grammar schools (:lol:). And I know it's back on the curriculum since 2010 because it's one of the Gove reforms (and is controversial). I think the idea was to focus on communication skills rather than abstract rules.

We've now probably gone way too far the other way (because Gove) but as someone who's then tried to learn another language - knowing the abstract rules is really helpful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I think one reason behind the (historic) educational stance on grammar in Hungary is an attempt to control the drift of the language. Whether that's worthwhile is up for debate of course.

As much as I like these different dialects/accents it is still weird for me because of my Hungarian upbringing - there it is impossible to sound anything like an utter uneducated bum from the arse end of nowhere if you can't remove your regional accent from your speech. I don't think there was much left of them by the time I was born, apart from subtle differences mostly.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 08:47:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2021, 08:45:03 AM
Nice dual-purpose exam. Makes sure the kids are intelligent and able to form coherent arguments AND they're suitably Conservative.
Also very British/Oxbridge/Economist - the main thing being measured is that they can take a position and make an argument :lol:

I'm mildly obsessed with the Joan of Arc-Garibaldi compare and contrast.

Also the George III question seems like a challenge, but also one of those questions that are so vague you can basically make up your own question and answer it :lol:

My A level history exams had very similarly worded questions and the papers were just like that in style, layout and even the font used.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I've recently been enjoying the videos by Gurdeep Pandher of Yukon a fair bit where he's dancing Punjabi Bhangra in front of the awesome snowy landscapes of the Yukon. And he looks very happy, which makes me happy. :)

https://twitter.com/GurdeepPandher/status/1370023608580403202?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, Immanuel Kant singing a Vengaboys song. We have strayed far from the light.

https://twitter.com/jackeselbst/status/1369997942728384513?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on March 10, 2021, 08:07:18 PM
I thought early basketball was all passing when you had the ball, movement only when you didn't have it.

And still is when played at its best.  :)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 10:23:25 AM

I think it's a generational thing. Tyr and I were both educated in the 90s/early 00s and we didn't do grammar (and thinking about it we were probably the first kids to go through the national curriculum?). I think before then schools did teach it - especially grammar schools (:lol:). And I know it's back on the curriculum since 2010 because it's one of the Gove reforms (and is controversial). I think the idea was to focus on communication skills rather than abstract rules.

We've now probably gone way too far the other way (because Gove) but as someone who's then tried to learn another language - knowing the abstract rules is really helpful.

I went to grammar school 1968-74 and we didn't bother with grammar either; except in Latin and French of course.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2021, 11:43:56 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 10:23:25 AM

I went to grammar school 1968-74 and we didn't bother with grammar either; except in Latin and French of course.

No English grammar in English grammar schools.  :hmm: