And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 03:42:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2021, 03:37:17 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of literal future communists went to Eton in that time period.
Oh not just that time period - we've still got loads of public school communists. Lots of them became Corbyn advisors :lol: <_<

Yeah, but they weren't communists when they wrote the exam.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2021, 07:14:03 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2021, 06:32:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2021, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 03:42:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2021, 03:37:17 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of literal future communists went to Eton in that time period.
Oh not just that time period - we've still got loads of public school communists. Lots of them became Corbyn advisors :lol: <_<

Yeah, that was my across-the-pond impression of places like that.
Surely they're more poshos who grew a conscience (though were sadly naiive) rather than scholarship kids?

My impression is that the vast majority of Communists who "grew a conscience" in 1991 were merely trying to disassociate themselves from their team after it lost the Cold War. You don't have a major change of basic values as an adult.
:blink:
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

In geology news, the earthquakes here continue same as before and there's constant magma flow which forms an intrusion that travels about half a mile per day bulging the landscape around it as it does and causing these knock-on tremors . The magma is very close to the surface, about a kilometer deep but so far it's easier for it to flow sideways underground very close to the surface than it is to go up and erupt. On it's current bearing the magma intrusion is heading out to sea away from the Reykjanes peninsula. Maybe we'll get a new island just off the coast if it erupts there.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

I saw the Meghan/Harry interview today.
It's interesting as having read about it before I completely believe everything she is saying....
Yet the way she says it, it just all sounds so fake. She very much seems to be hamming it up for the camera. :lol:

Also I have to wonder about that what colour will the baby be comment.... It doesn't even make sense. I've not really noticed before but megan really doesn't look mixed race. Plenty of folks classed as white are far darker than her.
Which really puts a whole different and far worse spin on it for me - there's zero actual concern about the baby's colour. Rather they just felt like shitting on her heritage.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

So what are the thoughts here? Is Cuomo going to survive the year? Or is he cooked?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2021, 08:44:46 PM
So what are the thoughts here? Is Cuomo going to survive the year? Or is he cooked?
I think he's cooked.  It doesn't help that he's not a beloved figure within his own party, he had a reputation as a nasty piece of work for a while.  I think many Democrats would be happy to be rid of him on its own merits, even without the benefit of showing that you're holding your own to the same standards you hold conservative beer enthusiasts.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2021, 08:44:46 PM
He should already be gone <_<

QuoteYet the way she says it, it just all sounds so fake. She very much seems to be hamming it up for the camera. :lol:
California :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2021, 09:20:29 PM
I think he'll make it.

What odds are you willing to give DGuller?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2021, 09:31:31 PM

Not much better than even.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2021, 09:34:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2021, 09:31:31 PM

Not much better than even.
Clear the books at even odds?  I bet whatever I owe you.  Let's make it until end of June.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2021, 09:44:57 PM
Clear the books at even odds?  I bet whatever I owe you.  Let's make it until end of June.

Deal

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2021, 07:23:36 PM
I saw the Meghan/Harry interview today.
It's interesting as having read about it before I completely believe everything she is saying....
Yet the way she says it, it just all sounds so fake. She very much seems to be hamming it up for the camera. :lol:

Also I have to wonder about that what colour will the baby be comment.... It doesn't even make sense. I've not really noticed before but megan really doesn't look mixed race. Plenty of folks classed as white are far darker than her.
Which really puts a whole different and far worse spin on it for me - there's zero actual concern about the baby's colour. Rather they just felt like shitting on her heritage.

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

You don't think she could pass for a totally white person very easily?
██████
██████
██████