And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2021, 11:43:56 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 10:23:25 AM

I think it's a generational thing. Tyr and I were both educated in the 90s/early 00s and we didn't do grammar (and thinking about it we were probably the first kids to go through the national curriculum?). I think before then schools did teach it - especially grammar schools (:lol:). And I know it's back on the curriculum since 2010 because it's one of the Gove reforms (and is controversial). I think the idea was to focus on communication skills rather than abstract rules.

We've now probably gone way too far the other way (because Gove) but as someone who's then tried to learn another language - knowing the abstract rules is really helpful.

I went to grammar school 1968-74 and we didn't bother with grammar either; except in Latin and French of course.

I attended a proper comprehensive school 1975-80 and I vaguely recall being ill one day, which I think might have been the morning they covered all of the spelling, punctuation and grammar in the English syllabus.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

I'm fine with not teaching grammar. The people own their own language not some bloody academy  :yeah:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2021, 11:55:38 AM
I'm fine with not teaching grammar. The people own their own language not some bloody academy  :yeah:

Academy or not, it would be nice for reminding you that language is more than grammar, not directly related to dialects, and that the academy you are thinking of does not own nor claims to own the language.  :P

However, having grammar lessons might help learning foreign languages.  ;)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 11, 2021, 12:00:25 PM
Indeed. "Preterite is a past tense."

Me: "So there's more than one past tense?" :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

If you have no grammar in english class. What do you do in English class?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2021, 12:13:28 PM

Read literature.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 12:07:32 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 11, 2021, 12:00:25 PM
Indeed. "Preterite is a past tense."

Me: "So there's more than one past tense?" :hmm:

Even in English.

Wait until you discover than French can also use Présent (de narration) for past events.  ;) Only to emphasize some key steps, in theory.

Try to think of passé simple as a simple morphological perfective past tense.  :P Wiki says so, with good reason.

As for somewhat original tenses, I like the Subjunctive Future in Portuguese, which fell in disuse in Castilian, though it may still be found in presumably old legal texts.
It's still a far cry from aorist in Ancient Greek which I still struggle with.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2021, 10:12:25 AM
I am still stuck at the shock of Brits not taught how to speak and write their own language. No wonder you have different accents after every second street corner.

I thought this was covered a long time ago in My Fair Lady.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYUuspQ6BY

HVC

Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2021, 12:14:51 PM

Read literature.

written in english no longer spoken :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

The lack of grammar lessons is almost certainly a contributory factor for British weakness at foreign languages. It will be interesting to see how the current crop of British youngsters (who are being crammed with English grammar from an early age) get on with foreign languages.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: HVC on March 11, 2021, 12:20:48 PM

Read literature.

Yes indeed, Grey Fox got told off for using a double negative in another thread, but Chaucer used them for emphasis of course.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on March 11, 2021, 12:20:48 PM

Read literature.

I know one year the head of English dept had our class play with a gendered toy of the opposite gender and then write an essay about the experience. The guys got to play Mall Madness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Read literature.

When I went to school, we did two separate English 'O' levels, one English literature for as you say reading the classics etc and the other called 'English Language', but I'm now struggling to recall anything that we might have studied during that class.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

I recall writing essays and lots of comprehension exercises.

Valmy

Get long and tedious reading assignments addressing social issues you, as a young kid, have no context for. Wow this thing by Mark Twain making fun of some aspect of 19th century American society really makes me think.

I remember reading Maya Angelou's "Why the Caged Bird Sings" and I remember liking it but not understanding even slightly the social issues she was addressing in that story.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."