News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

So just seen that apparently this will be the first UK census that asks questions about sexuality and gender identity - interestingly they've set up a way for each individual to request an access code so everyone can provide that information without revealing it to other household members. Which seems like a good idea and it'll be interesting to see the results (though I imagine there'll be a lot of under-reporting still).
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2021, 05:00:21 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2021, 04:57:21 PM
Also: terraced houses have as much with terraces as American football with actual football.

We had association football and rugby football. Both were football. We have been over this.

We and the Brits decided to name them in the opposite way. Our version of the later became football, and their version of the later became Rugby.

Tamas doesn't quite understand that all forms of football are game with a ball, played on foot.  Or that what he thinks is called 'football" is actually "Association football" as opposed to "Rugby football" and "American football" (and now, of course, "Australian Rules Football").  Someday, he will learn.  :P

The original football was more like Rugby than anything that came later.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2021, 06:16:48 PM
Tamas doesn't quite understand that all forms of football are game with a ball, played on foot.  Or that what he thinks is called 'football" is actually "Association football" as opposed to "Rugby football" and "American football" (and now, of course, "Australian Rules Football").  Someday, he will learn.  :P

The original football was more like Rugby than anything that came later.

And Gaelic rules football too.

I saw a great game in Ireland years back that was a mix of Gaelic and Aussie rules with an Irish team playing an Aussie team. Seemed like total mayhem to me. Very entertaining.

Grey Fox

The worse thing is that the Brits used to use Soccer but they are traitorous assholes so it didn't last.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2021, 06:31:43 PM
The worse thing is that the Brits used to use Soccer but they are traitorous assholes so it didn't last.
This is true - and now get ignorantly outraged about it :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

What do you mean played on foot? Is basketball football?

And on flats: if I hear my neighbour across a common wall, that's a flat if nothing else than in quality of living and every other name is a dress-up :p

HVC

Brit houses just need better insulation.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2021, 06:53:40 PM
What do you mean played on foot? Is basketball football?

Basketball started as an indoor winter version of soccer.  It used a soccer ball and mostly soccer rules, except that the ball was carried and thrown rather than kicked because of the smaller indoor space.  Dribbling came later.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I thought early basketball was all passing when you had the ball, movement only when you didn't have it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: PDH on March 10, 2021, 08:07:18 PM
I thought early basketball was all passing when you had the ball, movement only when you didn't have it.
Technically it still is, you're just passing the ball to yourself when dribbling.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Ok, Tim.

1 Adjustable mattresses exist, both for incline and hardness.
2 Beds with attached cabinets have existed for centuries.
3 I wouldn't want a tea set in my bed
4 Zomg, advertisers subtly undermining traditional values by showing a lesbian couple in bed!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Amazing that Piers Morgan story is being spin by some as an attack on free speech.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 11, 2021, 03:17:12 AM
Ok, Tim.

1 Adjustable mattresses exist, both for incline and hardness.
2 Beds with attached cabinets have existed for centuries.
3 I wouldn't want a tea set in my bed
4 Zomg, advertisers subtly undermining traditional values by showing a lesbian couple in bed!

I make my morning coffee without leaving the bed.  :cool:

Admiral Yi

The lebiangs are pretty cute but that neck masturbation was not convincing.