And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2021, 12:45:14 PM

:o

Fear that the Soviets were involved somehow, and this might turn into another Franz Ferdinand type situation, dictated a lot on how the Feds handled the aftermath actually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2021, 03:58:44 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2021, 12:45:14 PM

:o

Fear that the Soviets were involved somehow, and this might turn into another Franz Ferdinand type situation, dictated a lot on how the Feds handled the aftermath actually.

Yeah, that's hardly that shocking a theory.  I mean Oswald defected to the USSR and lived there for three years
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

IIRC, Americans dismissed the Soviet theory pretty early on, because a very high-placed spy relayed to them how the Politburo was shocked by the assassination and was worried that it would be pinned on USSR.  Of course, in the spy game, you always have to account for the possibility that your sources are playing a double game, but that spy seemed legit enough.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

There's zero evidence that Oswald ever met Khrushchev, nor that Khrushchev was interested in assassinating Kennedy.  The authors are selling a book, not presenting facts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2021, 04:46:55 PM
IIRC, Americans dismissed the Soviet theory pretty early on, because a very high-placed spy relayed to them how the Politburo was shocked by the assassination and was worried that it would be pinned on USSR.  Of course, in the spy game, you always have to account for the possibility that your sources are playing a double game, but that spy seemed legit enough.
Yeah my understanding is the Soviets thought it was precursor to a coup.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I read Norman Mailer's book. Is it true that Oswald liked doing the wife in the butt?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Assassinating someone on American soil was a big no-no.  I think they still have that rule.  You can target someone in Britain (though nobody is crazy enough to target a British politician), but not the US.  If your plan involves assassinating a US president you might as well just shoot yourself and cut out all the middlemen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2021, 05:02:44 PM

Assassinating someone on American soil was a big no-no.  I think they still have that rule.  You can target someone in Britain (though nobody is crazy enough to target a British politician), but not the US.  If your plan involves assassinating a US president you might as well just shoot yourself and cut out all the middlemen.
If there is such a rule, it hasn't always been adhered to.  Walter Krivitsky was assassinated in DC during Stalin's time, and in the last few years Mikhail Lesin was most surely assassinated in DC.

The Larch

Quote from: ulmont on February 24, 2021, 11:10:04 AM
I still don't trust online only as I expect online to skew higher education, higher income, less religious, all of of which correlate with more LGBT.

For other issues it might be the right take, as you don't get a full picture of the whole society, but isn't it actually better in this case, in order to get a better picture? All those socioeconomic factors don't "make" people more LGBT, I'd say they actually allow those people to realize they're LGBT and present themselves as such at a higher rate than the rest of the population. It doesn't mean that poorer, less educated, more religious people are less LGBT, as you seem to say, it'd mean that they're less likely to realize it and/or present themselves as such openly, so with a broader scope you might actually be under-reporting their numbers.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2021, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2021, 05:02:44 PM

If there is such a rule, it hasn't always been adhered to.  Walter Krivitsky was assassinated in DC during Stalin's time, and in the last few years Mikhail Lesin was most surely assassinated in DC.

Well, I'm surprised.  The Stalin thing I can see, no nukes.  The other guy, I have no idea.

ulmont

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2021, 05:45:17 PM
It doesn't mean that poorer, less educated, more religious people are less LGBT, as you seem to say, it'd mean that they're less likely to realize it and/or present themselves as such openly, so with a broader scope you might actually be under-reporting their numbers.

...that's gonna be a philosophical debate on what it means to "be" LGBT and I will decline the invitation, other to note that I'm sure you already have that problem looking at the generational splits.  People didn't change much biologically from 1965 to 2003 (poll of adults), after all.

celedhring

This is just for Intercity trains, I will say that my experience with Spanish local lines is not as good, particularly in bad weather.

Still, note to avoid Greek trains. Also, can you really run Intercity trains in Luxemburg?  :P

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2021, 03:41:12 AM
This is just for Intercity trains, I will say that my experience with Spanish local lines is not as good, particularly in bad weather.

That looks about right. I haven't had as much trouble in Italy as the map would suggest.
There will also be regional differences of course. In Germany, Cologne is notorious for delays, bringing the average down.

QuoteAlso, can you really run Intercity trains in Luxemburg? 
Yes, but not within Luxembourg.  :P

Josquius

Surely diffetent countries define punctuality differently?
██████
██████
██████