News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

Two fun stories from this morning.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the stories about Marjorie Taylor Greene's affair with the "Polyamorus Tantric-sex Guru" named Craig Ivey. (You can read about it here, and see a lovely picture of Craig standing naked in front of a waterfall: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9266105/Controversial-congresswoman-Marjorie-Taylor-Greene-tried-divorce-husband-affair.html) Anyhoo... I know Craig. :) In fact, I just bought two antique shelves off him a few weeks ago. He's a really nice guy, despite how he's painted by the Daily Mail, and he's said that the crazy lady who's now a Congresswoman is not the person that he knew in 2012.

Regardless, how did I know it was the same Craig Ivey that I know? That lovely butt shot in the article. :D It is/was his profile picture on Facebook.

Second fun thing: I'm fixing my coffee and a bowl of cereal for breakfast when the dogs start losing their minds. Kepler, in particular, can't be silenced, which is weird. I look outside, and there are two (cute) cops poking around in my yard and in my neighbor behind me's yard, and they have an equally cute dog. (Kepler clearly agreed.) Anyhoo.... I go outside to find out what's going on. Turns out some guy had gotten into a car accident on the busy intersection about a block or two up the road. He pulled a gun out on the guy he hit, and took off at a run. The dog tracked him past my house and to my neighbor's garage, where he was hiding. The gun, however, wasn't on him. His footsteps ran along my fence, past the car and truck, and over to Hunt's yard. (Hunt is my neighbor.) So they were looking for the gun. The problem is that in 8" of snow, it's just going to sink and cave in.

They poked around a bit, the dog sniffed around a bit, and then one of the cops says with a grin, "Well, we're not likely to find it in this snow. If you find a gun in the spring, give us a call, k?" :blink: :unsure: Uh... sure.

So now I know that I know a polyamorus Tantric-sex guru who's had an affair with another Republican reprobate and there may be a gun in my backyard until the snow melts sometime in March.

How's your morning going?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

That may be the most "America in the 2020s" thing I've ever read. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Is he in fancy dress as Zangief in that photo or am I reading too much into that? :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

That is definitely Zangief cosplay.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2021, 10:19:40 AM

I hadn't looked at it that way, but .... you're so not wrong. :(

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on February 17, 2021, 10:38:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2021, 10:19:40 AM

I hadn't looked at it that way, but .... you're so not wrong. :(

But then I read this, which may be even more indicative:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.insider.com/texas-storm-mayor-resigns-said-peoples-fault-if-they-freeze-2021-2%3famp
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

"Only the strong will survive and the weak will parish."

Should be the new GOP slogan in 2022.

The mayor is a fucking tool and an idiot.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Rush Limbaugh dead. Oh well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!