And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2021, 11:16:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2021, 11:04:45 AM
Oy Americans- do you consider Sunday the first day of the week absolutely all the time as an absolute fact or is this up for debate?

No matter how many times I run into software doing this it always causes issues <_<

Canadian here - we usually refer to Monday as the start.

So you admit Sunday is the Sabbath? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2021, 11:45:03 AM
Oy Americans- do you consider Sunday the first day of the week absolutely all the time as an absolute fact or is this up for debate?

No matter how many times I run into software doing this it always causes issues <_<

I think we consider Sunday in some kind of official sense, but it is totally Monday for all real purposes.

Sunday used to be the first day of the week for most of Christendom, something inherited from the Romans, IIRC. The industrial revolution, factory work, and eventually the shorter working week, contributed to making Monday the first day of the week. I remember learning in school that Sunday was the first day of the week - a lingering of Catholic education in 1980s Quebec - but the shift generally in the francophone world was tracked at the end of the 19th century: Sunday is the first day of the week in the Académie's dictionnary in 1875; the last day of the week in the dictionnary of 1932. In fact, my computer calendar (set in Canada: French) shows the week beginning on Sunday.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2021, 11:23:56 AM

:yes:

I didn't realize others thought it was otherwise.

Wait, what?

It's Sunday. Have to fight god forsaken France all the time over it too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Monday is the day I've always heard of as "the start of the workweek," but I don't think I've ever considered Sunday the start of the week.  It's that way on calendars, but maybe because it just seems more visually attractive to have the work week framed by weekend days.

My mental picture has always been that of five workdays followed by a weekend.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 15, 2021, 01:47:15 PM

I think we consider Sunday in some kind of official sense, but it is totally Monday for all real purposes.

Sunday used to be the first day of the week for most of Christendom, something inherited from the Romans, IIRC. The industrial revolution, factory work, and eventually the shorter working week, contributed to making Monday the first day of the week. I remember learning in school that Sunday was the first day of the week - a lingering of Catholic education in 1980s Quebec - but the shift generally in the francophone world was tracked at the end of the 19th century: Sunday is the first day of the week in the Académie's dictionnary in 1875; the last day of the week in the dictionnary of 1932. In fact, my computer calendar (set in Canada: French) shows the week beginning on Sunday.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The Lord rested on the 7th day, not the first. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2021, 02:12:16 PM

Wait, what?

It's Sunday. Have to fight god forsaken France all the time over it too.

:lol:

Eddie Teach

Are you laughing at France's misfortune?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Our booking software is American and starts the week on Monday.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2021, 02:23:38 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 15, 2021, 01:47:15 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever. The Lord rested on the 7th day, not the first. :P

The Sabbath is Saturday :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

HVC

:Joos

Though given my tan I probably have  :osama: in me too :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 15, 2021, 01:24:16 PM

So you admit Sunday is the Sabbath? :yeahright:

Jews have an entirely separate liturgical calendar. 😉

Today is Monday, February 15, 2021 - the first day of the week - in the ordinary calendar.  It is 3 Adar, 5781 in the Jewish Calendar. Weeks in Judaism start on Sunday (Yom Rishon) and end on the Sabbath, which is in English Saturday.

Needless to say, the question concerned the "ordinary" week, and not the liturgical one.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Interestingly, Christians assert (and some nations still officially hold) that Sunday is the first day of the week, because it is the Sabbath.

Jews agree that Sunday is the first day of the week, because it *isn't* the Sabbath. That would be Saturday, and the sabbath ends the week - it does not begin the week - because it reflects the creation story: on the seventh day, God rested.

I have no idea why Christians concluded Sunday ought to be the first day, rather than the last ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2021, 03:46:01 PM
I have no idea why Christians concluded Sunday ought to be the first day, rather than the last ...

Resurrection.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2021, 03:46:01 PM

"So the last shall be first, and the first last."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.