Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2021, 09:29:15 AM
Sad to discover we need to purge the middle class :(
QuoteWood burning at home now biggest cause of UK particle pollution

Fires used by just 8% of population but cause triple the particle pollution of traffic, data shows
[...]
Two-thirds of the people burning indoors used a stove, while a third had open fires, and 96% had alternative sources of heating such as gas or electricity. Most of the indoor burners used seasoned wood but 20% were using wet wood, the research found.

"The most common reasons they gave for using their indoor burning appliance were to create a homely feel, so they could heat just one room, to save money, and/or because they liked the look of a fire," the report says. "Habit also seemed important: 79% of indoor burners reported having a fire at home when growing up as opposed to 23% of [those never burning at home]."

Almost half the indoor burners (46%) were from the highest AB social grades, which represent about a quarter of the population overall. The researchers identified five types of indoor burners, including people who burned as a "lifestyle choice" for aesthetic reasons (28%) and for reasons of tradition (18%). A small number, who tended to be older, less affluent and more rural, had no other heating (8%). The rest burned at home to save money or supplement other heating.
<_<

Heating the house by burning wood is a lifestyle choice?  :wacko:

I'd rather say that it's a countryside thing or, alternatively, a very posh one.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2021, 09:36:18 AM
Oh no the fire isn't to heat the house. It only heats the living room. You'll have central heating to properly heat the house and then, for aesthetic reasons, a wood stove <_<

Edit: Yeah - 96% of people had alternative sources of heating and only 8% were doing it for practical reasons :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2021, 09:42:32 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2021, 09:36:18 AM
Oh no the fire isn't to heat the house. It only heats the living room. You'll have central heating to properly heat the house and then, for aesthetic reasons, a wood stove <_<

Edit: Yeah - 96% of people had alternative sources of heating and only 8% were doing it for practical reasons :lol:

Even worse then!  :lol:

Josquius

My parents have a wood burning stove.
Fits well with my dad's lifestyle choice of being a carpenter.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

:lol:

So do mine and similarly my dad's an ex-carpenter so....

When I was a kid and we lived in Scotland we had an open fire and our own peat bank. I don't think my dad would look at a house without a fire.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2021, 09:58:23 AMWhen I was a kid and we lived in Scotland we had an open fire and our own peat bank.

And you lived in a Dickens novel?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2021, 10:03:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2021, 09:58:23 AMWhen I was a kid and we lived in Scotland we had an open fire and our own peat bank.

Peat cutting's a good rural day out :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2021, 10:13:42 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2021, 10:03:15 AM

Peat cutting's a good rural day out :P

In the XIXth century.  :P

Sheilbh

:lol: In the Highlands :contract:

Everyone was farming or farming adjacent - unless you worked on the rigs. I went lambing too. We used to get extra holiday in school because all the farmers took their kids out of school anyway during peak times so they made it official :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

We have a (tiny) forest and a 10*200m part of a peat bog. My parents in law heats their house with wood.

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 16, 2021, 09:28:19 AM
DDR stamps were much easier to get hold of than West German stamps. They were often cancelled to order rather than postally used  :nerd: They also had lots of nice designs. This was common with Warsaw pact countries, I think it was part of their propaganda effort. Going by the stamps the DDR was much better than the boring old Bundesrepublik  :P

I never thought about it, but I have no idea where I got all these stamps.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2021, 10:18:21 AM
:lol: In the Highlands :contract:

Everyone was farming or farming adjacent - unless you worked on the rigs. I went lambing too. We used to get extra holiday in school because all the farmers took their kids out of school anyway during peak times so they made it official :lol:

Continuing with the Dickensian theme, I see, now with child labour!  :P

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Wood burning for heating is a possibility if one has a house in the outskirts of Bragança.

It's forbidden in Paris and Île-de-France, due to pollution concerns.

https://www.rtl.fr/actu/debats-societe/pollution-pourquoi-le-chauffage-au-bois-est-interdit-en-ile-de-france-7799815484

PS: from time to time it seems. Link is from early 2020.

Sheilbh

Just seen this opening paragraph of a judgment doing the rounds on Twitter - and I might have to go and find it now to read :lol:

Apparently it was just human error :o :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!