News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2021, 03:46:01 PM

I have no idea why Christians concluded Sunday ought to be the first day, rather than the last ...

They did not. it's some nonsense no doubt appearing in America as some Protestant funkiness.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 15, 2021, 03:48:15 PM
I have no idea why Christians concluded Sunday ought to be the first day, rather than the last ...

Resurrection.

Makes sense - apparently the resurrection happened on "the first day", which is Sunday according to the Jewish calendar.

Reading further, at some point many Christians adopted "sabbatarian" practices, and naturally enough located them on the day of prayer, which was Sunday. Others sects disagreed, locating the sabbath on Saturday.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2021, 04:00:29 PM

They did not. it's some nonsense no doubt appearing in America as some Protestant funkiness.

False. The Byzantine Calendar, for example, had the first day of the week as Sunday. I also think that might have been a thing in the Western Empire as well but it gets all confusing with the seven day week only slowly becoming universal.

I would bet the week starting on Monday came later. Americans just refuse to accept later innovations, hence why we are so resistant to the metric system. I have often been relieved the British forced the Gregorian Calendar on us in 1752 or we would still probably be using the Julian Calendar as well. Good American dates for good Americans, not that pansy Euro Gregorian Calendar.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I have never in my life, prior to this thread here, heard or read the notion that any Christian culture would consider Sunday the  first day of the week. Never.

Oexmelin

Must be some Eastern European nonsense linked to some Slavic funkiness.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2021, 04:00:29 PM

I was taught that Sunday was the first day of the week and I learned it at a Catholic school.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2021, 06:25:37 PM
I have never in my life, prior to this thread here, heard or read the notion that any Christian culture would consider Sunday the  first day of the week. Never.

If you read up further it's literally built into the day names in Portuguese lol. Duque further explains its a liturgical thing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Do we finally have an explanation for why Portuguese sounds Russian? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

HVC

No, Portuguese sounds Russian because it somehow both over enunciates and has a lot of " shh" sounds :D.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

I don't see the comparison.  Russian is all tight lipped and tight jawed and Portuguese is all loosey goosey.  To me it sounds like Surfer Latin.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2021, 07:20:17 PM
I don't see the comparison.  Russian is all tight lipped and tight jawed and Portuguese is all loosey goosey.  To me it sounds like Surfer Latin.

You an east coaster? You might be more used to azorean Portuguese. Aka redneck Portuguese.

*edit* or even worse, Brazilian :D

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2021, 07:24:26 PM
You an east coaster? You might be more used to azorean Portuguese. Aka redneck Portuguese.

*edit* or even worse, Brazilian :D

Right now I'm a midwesternite.

I've met a handful of old country Portagee.  Though not as floppy mouthed as Brazilian the way they talked in no way compared to Russian.  IMO

HVC

Maybe German?  I always thought it sounded different from other romance languages. Harsher.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UibNKykq4do

You and I are on totally different wavelengths.  Portagee is all sshhh and zh and jh.  Kind of lispy and lazy sounding.  German is the exact opposite.  No one cuts corners.  Every consonant gets your full attention and concentration.

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2021, 06:25:37 PM

QuoteWhile, for example, the United States, Canada, Brazil, Japan and other countries consider Sunday as the first day of the week, and while the week begins with Saturday in much of the Middle East, the international ISO 8601 standard[a] and most of Europe has Monday as the first day of the week.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week