Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Lovely kind of interesting thread by the daughter of the man who designed the reverse of Britain's decimalised coins 50 years ago (and her mum is the model for Britannia on the 50p):
https://twitter.com/IronsideKate/status/1360959039379750913

It's a very sweet thread (he had to win a contest twice :ph34r:) but just kind of crazy because you just never imagine coins you use almost daily being designed by someone - they're just always that way. But obviously someone did the work 50 years ago :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also! This is super interesting:
http://radio.garden/

Every green dot is a radio station. Click it and you can start listening.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I clicked one labeled "College Underground Radio" and it played some countrified adult contemporary.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Local stations - all four I listened to for a few minutes had recognisable music that I liked from the Eighties/Nineties.

Japan - a bunch of breakfast shows, catchy music and the occasional English songs (scanned from Kamakura up to Northern Hokkaido.)

Paris - post-midnight radio that felt like I was listening to aliens from a different planet...not very enjoyable listening either.

Still, this has gone into my favourites bar. Thanks Sheilbh.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Larch

The one that appeared by default for my hometown is our rinky dinky pirate station where good friends of mine used to have shows when we were in our late teens/early 20s.  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2021, 05:31:17 PM
Lovely kind of interesting thread by the daughter of the man who designed the reverse of Britain's decimalised coins 50 years ago (and her mum is the model for Britannia on the 50p):
https://twitter.com/IronsideKate/status/1360959039379750913

It's a very sweet thread (he had to win a contest twice :ph34r:) but just kind of crazy because you just never imagine coins you use almost daily being designed by someone - they're just always that way. But obviously someone did the work 50 years ago :mellow:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Someone explaining it :lol:
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1361291669396717572?s=20

It is really interesting seeing all the archive details. I saw someone posting for example that their dad had a coin from George IV's reign that was still good money in the 60s - suddenly all change.

I also saw someone posting some of the alternative design - I really like the very Wilson/"White heat of technology" range which included an image of Dounreay nuclear power plant on the 10p piece:

Or Jodrell Bank on a 5p piece:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Germany put that kind of stuff on stamps. :P

Stamps
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on February 15, 2021, 08:12:11 AM
Germany put that kind of stuff on stamps. :P

Stamps

Heh, that triggered a memory. And as it turns out, I still have them  :cool:

celedhring

This merits discussion:

RS Archer
@archer_rs
So naturally enough I have thrown some meat to the Qanon crazies.

"This new Royal baby will be eligible to be President AND is in direct line to the UK throne.  Coincidence?  I think not.  this was planned long ago."

Sheilbh

8th in line as well. Finally the Kind Hearts and Coronets - QAnon cross-over we've all been waiting for :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

This is how Canada and the US will be united.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Except, whereas we've shown we're OK with a black president, the British will not accept a mullatto monarch.