News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2021, 06:48:28 AM
In unexpected side-effects of covid and lockdown - deer herds are at their largest in the UK in 1000 years and are causing merry havoc in the countryside. Estimates are there's about 2 million wild deer on the loose:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/10/wild-deer-set-to-wreak-havoc-in-uk-woodlands-as-venison-demand-plunges

A big issue has been the decline of the hospitality industry meaning there aren't as many orders for venison which is, of course, a deeply sustainable red meat.

So for Brits who eat meat - help the countryside and order some venison :w00t:
https://deerbox.co.uk/
I do love venison.
But 60 quid a shot.... Holy cow that's deer.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on January 09, 2021, 05:27:22 PM

Quotebut has a really oceanic weather so rainy (less than Cornwall hopefully),

If the hotter is better than Cornwall, land of wine and palm trees, then it's the torrid climes :p

Cornwall weather jokes? I remember hearing them in England back in 1998. A staple of British humor I guess.
English wine?  :x Well, Normandy used to produce plonk of the white variety...
Incidentally, the old name of a part of Brittany is Cornouaille, the plural Cornouailles is Cornwall in French.

So I just don't think of Cornwall as of the (English) Riviera.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 10, 2021, 01:33:36 PM
Cornwall weather jokes? I remember hearing them in England back in 1998. A staple of British humor I guess.
Incidentally, the old name of a part of Brittany is Cornouaille, the plural Cornouailles is Cornwall in French.

Notice the similarity between Brittany and Britain. IIRC, Brittany essentially means "little Britain." So yeah, the connection is there in both French and English.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2021, 03:27:36 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 10, 2021, 01:33:36 PM

Notice the similarity between Brittany and Britain. IIRC, Brittany essentially means "little Britain." So yeah, the connection is there in both French and English.

Indeed, but it is a much more famous one so I thought it was too obvious to mention, unlike Cornwall.

Sheilbh

Yeah - and in this case probably linked to the Cornish for Cornwall - or the Celtic tribe that lived their "Kernow" (the Anglo-Saxons added "wealas" for "foreigners" on the end).
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 10, 2021, 03:52:02 PM
Indeed, but it is a much more famous one so I thought it was too obvious to mention, unlike Cornwall.

I thought I might be telling you stuff you already know :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2021, 04:44:00 PM
Yeah - and in this case probably linked to the Cornish for Cornwall - or the Celtic tribe that lived their "Kernow" (the Anglo-Saxons added "wealas" for "foreigners" on the end).

cf. the famous Welsch in German. Other etymologies were suggested though I am skeptical about Cornouaille coming from Cornu-Gallia(e) (corner of Gaul).  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

Brittany makes me sad. Sucks that there's zero interest in the Breton language there
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2021, 07:50:09 AM
Brittany makes me sad. Sucks that there's zero interest in the Breton language there

Not quite true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwan_(school)

Breton language is in a better shape than, say, Cornish.  :P

Sheilbh

Yes - though Cornish (and Manx) are in the middle of a revival at the minute :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2021, 07:50:09 AM

Then you haven't been there enough. It's been repressed much more, of course, but it's still there.

mongers

Thinking about starting a new thread/poll titled "How many threads per week should we start about the new Biden presidency?"
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"