News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Just realised it's the shortest day of the year and things get better from now on :w00t:
Today: Sunrise 08:04 Sunset 15:54
Next Monday: Sunrise 08:06 Sunset 15:59
:w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2020, 04:29:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2020, 01:46:45 PM

Also Tyr, there's more than just one style of italian pizza; I used to work in a reasonably 'authentic' Italian restaurant ie several Italians worked there and pizza was a real bone of contention between the Sicilian and the guy from Milan.

Pizza being Neapolitan, for starters.

In an argument between Milanese en Sicilians, I'm sure that would not have come up.  :lol:

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 04:37:12 AM
Just realised it's the shortest day of the year and things get better from now on :w00t:
Today: Sunrise 08:04 Sunset 15:54
Next Monday: Sunrise 08:06 Sunset 15:59
:w00t:

I was just looking up the numbers  :lol:

It's the only positive thing that will happen no matter what.

Josquius

For fun we tried a baby name selector app. It works a bit like Tinder. Alas it is American.
My god. So many surnames.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

February has slowly become one of my favoured months over the years. Still cold, but England cold is not that bad; more importantly the increase in light becomes more rapid and obvious.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2020, 04:48:25 AM
For fun we tried a baby name selector app. It works a bit like Tinder. Alas it is American.

I suggest Winston if a boy, Margaret if a girl.   :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 04:52:55 AM
February has slowly become one of my favoured months over the years. Still cold, but England cold is not that bad; more importantly the increase in light becomes more rapid and obvious.

My favorite is May, when the "daylight at dinnertime" Spanish phenom starts to happen (due to us being in the wrong timezone). But I just love our superlong days of summer.

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 21, 2020, 05:06:33 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2020, 04:48:25 AM

I suggest Winston if a boy, Margaret if a girl.   :P
Thatcher was one that came up. Cue: screams.
I doubt he will be black so Winston is out. :p
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 05:25:57 AM

My favorite is May, when the "daylight at dinnertime" Spanish phenom starts to happen (due to us being in the wrong timezone). But I just love our superlong days of summer.

Yup, May-June for me is possibly the best period of the year. Super long days and still not too hot. And me being not just in the wrong timezone but actually a further one away, we get sunsets around 22:30 and even later by late June.  :cool:

Sheilbh

One for Syt a rather great looking 18th century Völkertafel ("table of peoples" - short for "Brief Description of peoples of Europe and their different characteristics") - possibly by an Austrian:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 05:25:57 AM

Yes, May and June are the best. Especially on trips to the Highlands and islands of Scotland, the sky glowing orange over the sea to the west at midnight :cool:

February is more of a surprising entry, but vastly better than January or December.

Maladict

April to June are best, September and sometimes October have been good too in recent years. I loathe November and February, but November in particular.

Eddie Teach

I like Autumn best. Nice temperature and less itchy than Spring.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 05:47:21 AM
One for Syt a rather great looking 18th century Völkertafel ("table of peoples" - short for "Brief Description of peoples of Europe and their different characteristics") - possibly by an Austrian:

Which countries are represented? First one is Spain for sure, second is France, I think, third no idea, fourth is German?, fifth is England, sixth no idea, seventh is Poland, eighth Hungary, ninth no idea and tenth "Turks or Greeks".