News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 11:13:03 AM
In slightly related news, internet Americans recently freaked out over someone falling ill after eating raw ground meat on a bun.
:huh:

Wonder what the story is there.  They've been doing that in like Wisconsin and Minnesota for years... probably German immigrants started that practice.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Is there some kind of a special trick to not fall sick from food poisoning when eating that?

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on December 18, 2020, 11:32:03 AM
Is there some kind of a special trick to not fall sick from food poisoning when eating that?
:hmm:

Consume with copious amounts of alcohol?

Sheilbh

Good beef/meat (I have seen raw pork in Italy which was exceptional but depends on very high quality/well looked after animals).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Refrigeration I would figure.

Barrister

As I understand it...

Beef itself is fairly safe.  Imagine eating a rare steak - the inside doesn't get warm enough to kill any bacteria, yet you'd be fine doing so.

So if you took an individual steak, made sure that your knife or grinder was sterilized, and ground up that steak you'd be fine to eat it raw.

It's the industrial ground beef where they can't be so 100% perfectly sure about it being sterilized that makes it unsafe to eat - one little dirty bit can contaminate the whole batch when it's all ground together.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 11:33:31 AM
Good beef/meat (I have seen raw pork in Italy which was exceptional but depends on very high quality/well looked after animals).

This and good quality control both from the butchers and a strong regulatory framework. :P

In the above example it's usually pork, though. Kind of like a poor man's beef tartar. Basically just ground pork (e.g. shoulder cut) with salt and pepper, plus onions on top.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 11:37:05 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 11:33:31 AM

This and good quality control both from the butchers and a strong regulatory framework. :P

In the above example it's usually pork, though. Kind of like a poor man's beef tartar. Basically just ground pork (e.g. shoulder cut) with salt and pepper, plus onions on top.

The powers that be still don't recommend eating raw pork at all.  It can contain the trichinella worm.  The incidence of which in pork has gone down a lot but still can't be ruled out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2020, 11:42:48 AM
The powers that be still don't recommend eating raw pork at all.  It can contain the trichinella worm.  The incidence of which in pork has gone down a lot but still can't be ruled out.
European law mandates lab testing of pork for trichinella (save for some derogations for home farmers in certain countries). Which I think eliminates that risk.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Steak tartare exists, so eating raw beef must be ok.  :P

Apparently there's a Japanese dish that involves raw chicken. Now that feels weird...

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2020, 11:36:15 AM

As I understand it...

Beef itself is fairly safe.  Imagine eating a rare steak - the inside doesn't get warm enough to kill any bacteria, yet you'd be fine doing so.

So if you took an individual steak, made sure that your knife or grinder was sterilized, and ground up that steak you'd be fine to eat it raw.

It's the industrial ground beef where they can't be so 100% perfectly sure about it being sterilized that makes it unsafe to eat - one little dirty bit can contaminate the whole batch when it's all ground together.
My understanding is that the outside of the beef can be contaminated, and even a rate steak has the outside heated up enough to kill whatever is on it.  However, if you grind the steak, you'll be mixing up the potentially contaminated outside with the clean inside.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 11:48:50 AM
European law mandates lab testing of pork for trichinella (save for some derogations for home farmers in certain countries). Which I think eliminates that risk.

This. People falling ill from eating this is basically unheard of.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 11:48:50 AM

This. People falling ill from eating this is basically unheard of.

Yet pregnant women are still discouraged from eating it even nowadays.

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on December 18, 2020, 11:52:04 AM
Steak tartare exists, so eating raw beef must be ok.  :P

Apparently there's a Japanese dish that involves raw chicken. Now that feels weird...
Are you thinking of laab (I think it's called)?  IIRC it's from Laos.  I guess the Japanese could have their own raw chicken dish too... they certainly enjoy their raw seafood...  :D