News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

What do you mean? What kind of politics? Are they hoping that Tory-haters will start donating to Unicef more?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2020, 04:20:25 PM
What do you mean? What kind of politics? Are they hoping that Tory-haters will start donating to Unicef more?

PR politics.  Whatever their goal is, whether to make the UK look bad or try to convince people that childhood hunger is not only a developing country problem, it most clearly is not to spend finite donor resources in areas of greatest need.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2020, 04:50:38 PM
it most clearly is not to spend finite donor resources in areas of greatest need.

Well clearly not as we are talking about 25,000 Pounds.

But I agree this is a PR stunt to draw attention to child hunger in developing countries and get donations. I don't see why that is something that they should be ashamed of though or that those kinds of politics are not what charities normally do. I am puzzled why this British guy even felt the need to comment and get all defensive about it.

I mean unless there is no child hunger in the UK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2020, 05:38:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2020, 04:50:38 PM
it most clearly is not to spend finite donor resources in areas of greatest need.

But I agree this is a PR stunt to draw attention to child hunger in developing countries and get donations. I don't see why that is something that they should be ashamed of though or that those kinds of politics are not what charities normally do. I am puzzled why this British guy even felt the need to comment and get all defensive about it.

I am not sure that there is just a binary "child hunger in the UK/no child hunger in the UK" choice here.  UNICEF had 25,000 quid they could spend any way they wanted to.  I very much doubt that it most benefitted children globally by spending in in an expensive area with no great need, as opposed to, say, Chad,  where 40% of the people are malnourished and 12% of children die before age 5. https://www.concernusa.org/story/worlds-hungriest-countries/

Sometimes the bureaucrats have to spend their organization's money to make the bureaucrats happy, not the nominal customers.  The organization isn't soliciting donations very wisely if it is claiming that (1) it has so much money it can spend some of it in the UK, and (2) Brits need to spend more money on British problems.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Did you read the article?  UNICEF is not handing out vitamin-fortified barley gruel to starving children in London; they're handing out Christmas treat boxes.

Valmy

I did read the article. I don't think I said anything about what it was being spent on.

If they are spending 25,000 as a publicity stunt to drive donations then what is the problem? They probably have spent far more on ad campaigns in the US to drive donations. 25,000 is a hilariously small amount of money.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2020, 05:53:59 PM
The organization isn't soliciting donations very wisely if it is claiming that (1) it has so much money it can spend some of it in the UK, and (2) Brits need to spend more money on British problems.

I have seen advertising for Unicef before. It might have just been taken out of their ad budget.

But I suppose it could be taken as "your British problems are so big that you shouldn't donate to Unicef" so that might be a reason why it is bad.

I mean you guys might be right I guess I am puzzled why an amount of money less than the cost of one car is some kind of international incident. That seems like a decent amount of money to spend on a publicity stunt for a charity. I mean those charity parties that other charities throw probably cost many times that.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2020, 06:17:21 PM

Did you read the article?  UNICEF is not handing out vitamin-fortified barley gruel to starving children in London; they're handing out Christmas treat boxes.

Guardian says they are helping to provide breakfasts through schools during Christmas break.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And actually they are giving about 700k to community groups in the UK. This 25k is just one of the grants.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2020, 06:35:27 PM
25,000 is a hilariously small amount of money.

Hey, can I have $25,000? Be a pal.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

A huge fan of this (correct) hot take on Twitter:
QuoteAris Roussinos
@arisroussinos
The revulsion online Americans have for English food is a revulsion for a genuinely proletarian national cuisine: preserved at the precise moment England's rural bounty met the calorific needs of our industrial labour force, a Marxist moment frozen in time
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 07:32:47 AM
A huge fan of this (correct) hot take on Twitter:
QuoteAris Roussinos
@arisroussinos
The revulsion online Americans have for English food is a revulsion for a genuinely proletarian national cuisine: preserved at the precise moment England's rural bounty met the calorific needs of our industrial labour force, a Marxist moment frozen in time
:lol:

The very next tweet seems to undermine that take.  :P

QuoteThe revulsion all right-thinking humans have for Scottish food, is, however, natural and correct

Sheilbh

I mean no-one's right twice :P

Edit: Although Scottish food does fit more into a peasant food v bourgeois/aristo food model (and arguably one of the most "imperial" bits of British food). Skirlie, cock-a-leekie, kippers, haggis, cullen skink, mince neeps and tattie - all off-cuts or preserved meats and oats and barley v scallops, venison, kedgeree, mulligatawny, grouse - all game/shellfish or dishes to give a reminder of India.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2020, 06:53:01 PM
And actually they are giving about 700k to community groups in the UK. This 25k is just one of the grants.

I know but it was the $25,000 that got that official mad

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 07:55:28 AM
I mean no-one's right twice :P

Edit: Although Scottish food does fit more into a peasant food v bourgeois/aristo food model (and arguably one of the most "imperial" bits of British food). Skirlie, cock-a-leekie, kippers, haggis, cullen skink, mince neeps and tattie - all off-cuts or preserved meats and oats and barley v scallops, venison, kedgeree, mulligatawny, grouse - all game/shellfish or dishes to give a reminder of India.

In slightly related news, internet Americans recently freaked out over someone falling ill after eating raw ground meat on a bun.

"How can you eat something so disgusting and unsafe?"

Germans, meanwhile:

"THIS IS THE BEST :mmm: "
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.